• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

is it worth it?

I have some dried peppers that a friend gave me and would like to grow them next season. Since I am not exactly sure the name of these the only possible source I have is what I have.
However I am not sure if the seeds are viable at this point,if they aren't then I won't try to store the seeds...
Is it worth trying to get a couple started to see if they are still viable?

were they just air dried and not in any way heat dried? if so they should be viable. No guarantee of what you'll get next season, but why not try?

They don't really take up any space and only take a minute or two to bag the seeds so why not keep them?

I belive they were sun dried...and it's not so much about storage space, but about the number of plants I want to grow next year. If these grow then I would like to include these, if they don't then I have others that I would like to grow...more logistical than anything.

As I'm learning and dealing with space issues and don't want that much of a hassle with moving plants in and out when a typhoon comes through, I start each type with trying to germinate 3 seeds and keep the strongest one, or two if its something I really want to grow.... Some I'm just growing to grow.... I would try to grow them to get one plant just to have something to id and if it's not what you want, trade or pass on the seeds....

I have some seeds of a local okinawan pepper I intend to spread around, if I can get some to germinate, it's mainly the only reason I'm keeping a pot for one plant....

Back