• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

health Is my Carolina Reaper Plant and peppers look healthy?

Greetings all !
This is my first attempt at growing a Carolina Reaper Plant in Northern Ontario Canada (about 100 miles north of Buffalo New York).
See the attached picture of the plant and the fruit.
Does it look healthly?
How will I know when the peppers are ready to pick?
Thank you all and have a great summer!
Marc
Hi ! First time hot pepper grower! Don't know whether my Carolina Reaper plant and fruit are healthy or the right color. Any guidance appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3950.JPG
    IMG_3950.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
greetings, fellow canuck!

i don't see anything obviously wrong with the plant, so i would say yes it's looking healthy.

for best results, you want to wait until the peppers have at least begun to ripen/turn their final colour (usually red, but some are bred to stop at yellow, orange, brown, etc.). the longer you leave them on the plant, the better they'll taste (to most people), and the best chance of getting seeds that are viable to grow a new plant from.

note: as long as the colour has started changing, you can pick them and put in a box/bag together and they will continue to ripen off the plant, but you risk having immature seeds and that the pepper remains with some green colour if picked too early.

greetings, fellow canuck!

i don't see anything obviously wrong with the plant, so i would say yes it's looking healthy.

for best results, you want to wait until the peppers have at least begun to ripen/turn their final colour (usually red, but some are bred to stop at yellow, orange, brown, etc.). the longer you leave them on the plant, the better they'll taste (to most people), and the best chance of getting seeds that are viable to grow a new plant from.

note: as long as the colour has started changing, you can pick them and put in a box/bag together and they will continue to ripen off the plant, but you risk having immature seeds and that the pepper remains with some green colour if picked too early.
excellent advice ! Thank you!:dance:

I'm used to seeing them bushier, but that could easily be due to climate differences - I'm in North Carolina!
Other than that it looks healthy to me!

Keep us posted with pics as it develops fruit.

Back