• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is Red or Yellow Dominant?

Im growing what is most likely a cross between an AJi Cereza (matures red) and a Bode Amarella (matures yellow). I dont know when to pick the Pods, as I dont know what color they are supposed to ripen. Any idea, or is there no way to tell before the pods fully ripen?

Depends on the ripening pattern. I'm not familiar with those varieties, but many red pods develop a red blush on the green which gradually takes over the whole pod. Others have a different pattern where the whole pod slowly evolves from green-orange-red. Each plant almost always has 1 or 2 pods that come ripe before all the rest, so you should have your answer then.

Thanks,

The parent Aji Cereza ripens from green to orange to red and the parent Bode Amarella ripens from green to light yellow to a darker yellow.

The cross was accidental, but I love it and am looking forward to the results. My garden is too small to isolate plants and I don't care about crosses—in fact I welcome them. As this is my 6th season growing chiles, I'm surprised that this is the first cross that I have had.

The Pods are from one of last season's open pollinated Aji Cereza seeds. The plant has chinense leaves and the Bode Amarella was the only c chinenese that I grew last year - That is whay I believe it is an Azi Cereza x Bode Amarealla Cross.

dragon49 said:
Im growing what is most likely a cross between an AJi Cereza (matures red) and a Bode Amarella (matures yellow). I dont know when to pick the Pods, as I dont know what color they are supposed to ripen. Any idea, or is there no way to tell before the pods fully ripen?

Have read an article a few weeks ago, that stated that red was dominant over yellow. With a bit of time (which I lack right now) it should be findable somewhere here or in "Hot pepper talk".
So, if this one is F1, it should turn red. If it is F2 or higher, it might have gotten recessive genes from the red parent and turn yellow (or what ever else the parents might have hidden behind dominant genes).

red is generally
and im with Haj i have a cross i called Datilari its a cross between a Datil and an unknown red Cumari species, the Datil traits are more dominant and thus the fruit is yellow, there are occasions and im not sure what those are but sometimes the recessive  color becomes dominant and you get a nice surprise

i have 3 species of Bhut Jolokia that are mutation

peach
mustard
cream sickle red (actually milky orange)
oh the yellow is also a mutation

i also messing around next year with a few mutations(crosses) as i always do just to name a few below

Cappuccino long Habanero, looks looks like a LONG CHOCOLATE HAB but its reddish brown (it looks like a spearhead)

"Blushing Dutchman" im calling it for kicks > it is cgn21500 crossed with unknown red Chinense > (possibly 7 pot Barrakpore) it was near by, its a light blushing reddish color but you can still see the peach and purple color coming through really interesting looking, there are two pod shapes one looks like a scotch bonnet and the other like a standard large hab would, they still retain much of the cgn21500 traits which i would have thought would ordinarily be recessive
these two pods where found on a normal Cgn21500 plant that had true pods so im guessing there first Generation

yeah red is generally more dominant but sometimes just sometimes you get a little surprise, i like those!! ;)

thanks your friend Joe

dragon49 said:
Unless I am misunderstandnig the terminology, my plant is F1, as both parents were true to their stable breeds.
Then there is no misunderstanding of terminology. Now you just hope the plant knows this too  ;)

They should ripen to red in the F1.  The F2 is where you will see segregation of color again in the pods as long as you grow multiple plants.

poypoyking said:
They should ripen to red in the F1.  The F2 is where you will see segregation of color again in the pods as long as you grow multiple plants.

That's also what I expect. However, it's very complex since multiple genes control pepper color (including red and yellow mentioned here). Purple is different process than ripening, so you can have purple turn to red, just purple, red and purple, a pseudo brown (just purple blending with red), or a pseudo brown mixed with red and/or purple ( in the F1 generation with that process. I have a plant that's doing all the above in the aforementioned sentence.

Back