Is something eating my pepper

Is the plant outside at all? Or did you use soil from outside? My first thought is slugs, which can be deterred easily without spraying the plant. Best time to catch them in the act is very early morning. Second thought is a beetle, like a Japanese beetle. Those are harder to deal with. I don't know if it is safe to use a chemical pesticide on a plant that young. Maybe some fine netting would keep the bugs out until it is bigger.

Edit: if it is slugs just sprinkle epsom salt around the plant, they will not crawl over it.

Mallory said:
Is the plant outside at all? Or did you use soil from outside? My first thought is slugs, which can be deterred easily without spraying the plant. Best time to catch them in the act is very early morning. Second thought is a beetle, like a Japanese beetle. Those are harder to deal with. I don't know if it is safe to use a chemical pesticide on a plant that young. Maybe some fine netting would keep the bugs out until it is bigger.

Edit: if it is slugs just sprinkle epsom salt around the plant, they will not crawl over it.
Yes they are outside 24/7 in a small greenhouse that I open during the day. We have had problems with beetles in the past and have never been able to really get rid of them :/ not sure what I'll do

There're a number of pyrethrin-based sprays that kill pretty much everything - I use them wholesale for all my vegetables, and even when the earwigs went mental on my passionfruit.

You can eat the produce the next day, too, though I'll normally leave it a week and wash well, just to be safe. 

Got to be better than man-made chemical sprays, I reckon.

You can even make your own, as shown here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pyrethrum-Garden-Spray

Insecticidal soap is ok for young plants. Problem could be mites - some are so small they cannot be seen with the naked human eye. You need to get a jeweler's loupe of at least 30x to see them. You can get a loupe on Amazon pretty inexpensively.

Back