• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Is something wrong with my seedling?

My cotyledons on my ghost pepper plant have curled all the way upward when i checked on them today. Is this bad? Its about a 10 day old seedling. I have it on a window sill. Is it not getting enough light maybe? I water it every 1-2 days. Am i watering it too much, too little? I live in south florida so humidity shouldnt be a problem.

RedF said:

Does that mean it might not be getting enough light though?
No - all plants lean towards light - seedlings and even grown plants. Don't sweat it.
The surface of your growing medium looks dry at this point, but that doesn't mean the medium isn't wet where the roots are. For the age of the seedling, your watering schedule is ok, given that it's not staying soaking wet. Do you have a fan on it? If not, get one. This will both strengthen the stem and also help prevent any soil fungus from developing.

geeme said:
No - all plants lean towards light - seedlings and even grown plants. Don't sweat it.

The surface of your growing medium looks dry at this point, but that doesn't mean the medium isn't wet where the roots are. For the age of the seedling, your watering schedule is ok, given that it's not staying soaking wet. Do you have a fan on it? If not, get one. This will both strengthen the stem and also help prevent any soil fungus from developing.
ok, cool. Its good to know it isnt dying. And ill try the fan thing, thanks. Everyone is so helpful on this forum lol

Ideally you'll use an oscillating fan, set at a gentle breeze, given the age of the seedling and that you haven't had a fan on it yet. You can up the speed when it's used to the fan, assuming the fan has variable speeds. If you don't have such a thing but you have a fan that might be too strong, don't point it directly at the seedling, but such that it circulates air around the room - use reflection off walls, for example.

That's way too small for something that sprouted 10 days ago.  It's not getting enough light.

There is no way for us to know if you are watering too much or too little.  It depends on how saturated the soil was and how much you water each time.  Generally speaking it should need only 2 teaspons of water every couple day with a fan, or less without... until it gets larger.  Then again I can't tell much about the container based on the picture, it may need less if that's an egg sized cell.  Judge based on the weight, dry fluffy soil feels very light compared to damp soil.

Back