• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is the chili color just for visual choice or ?

I have 3 sort of Bhut Jolokia - red, yellow and choco. Same thing with Habanero (red, white, choco)

The question is there any difference in taste, grow behavior,... except in color as visual choice?

Did anyone compare Bhut Jolokia chili according to the color?

There are subtle heat and flavor differences between different color pods of the same variety. In my opinion, the brown (chocolate) Bhut seems to be more earthy in flavor with a more intense heat. Yellow Bhuts seemed to be a bit milder across the board with heat and flavor but are still one of my favorites. You can't go wrong with a nice ripe, red Bhut Jolokia though...

I grew a lot of different Habanero's this year, all kinds of colors. It was pretty obvious that the Chocolate ones were by far more hotter then the Yellow, Red or Orange ones. Chocolates have a really spicy aroma, Reds/Yellow spicy and fruity aroma and the Orange ones have a really fruity aroma most of the times. Does it have something to do with the color... I would say yes when it comes to taste maybe but not when it comes to growth behavior. Hope this helps?

Thanks a lot for your opinion RedtailForester & meatfreak.
As I can conclude choco is the hottest comparing the colors.

Question why I started this topic is the huge number of chili varieties on our list and when it comes "which variety is going out", every information counts. :P

Problem of Bhut Jolokia is (at least for me) smell of sheep wool. Do you smell the same? :surprised:

The Chocolate Bhut that I had a few months ago was hotter and oiler than any of the Red Bhuts I have eaten. I haven't had any other colored Bhuts.

I have to completely agree with Redtail on the bhuts, definitely different flavors between the three.

I have never smelled wool right off the sheep, but I think most people agree that bhuts have a very "distinct" smell to them.

I honestly do not have the best palate for distinguishing flavors and smells, but to me they smell slightly floral with an undertone of musk. Kind of like a sweaty armpit dosed in perfume.

Once I'll try to comapre smell of all 3 colors of BJ and see if is same.
At this moment is smell in quite uneatable.

Could fertilizing (BioBizz and Plantella) change smell of chili?

In all seriousness, I used to work in agriculture before I became a brewer. Sheep have a distinctive aroma. I've not eaten sheep wool, but understand his perfect observations.

From being a beer judge, I think his palate is amazing. Often we can describe things as 'goaty'. Anyone who's been around goats will understand, without having to lick, a goat ;)

georgej

nice to find someone who understend my writing. :party:
So question for now is: does the 3 colors (red, yellow, choco) of Bhut Jolokia have sheep wool smell.
If yes and all I think BJ will be remove from my chili list. :mope:

Only tried the red, so can't comment on the other. Sorry mate... I read BJ as bhut jolokia, seeing as this is a chilli forum, not a sleaze forum

I think that the yellow BJ is much more palatable in flavor than the red, although I'm not a HUGE fan of any red chiles. Much rather have brown or yellow - I think that the taste of chiles has more to do with color than the actual specific variety, although there are most definitely variations by varieties as well (if that makes any sense)

Back