Is the cold weather causing this?

This happening with my non-pepper plants as well:

Leaves are getting rubbery and drooping, as if the plants are starving for water, however, it has rained recently and the ground is well soaked.  Does the cold weather cause this, somehow preventing the roots from transporting the water to the leaves?

moruga welder said:
are you bringing them in ?  definitely cold for them, not gonna get much growth 
No.  I'm aware that the season is basically over.  I just want to kwow why the leaves are behaving as if the plants aren't getting water, when this isn't the case.  If the cold is responsible for this, then I don't mind.  If the cold isn't responsible for this, then I need t know what is.

dragon49 said:
No.  I'm aware that the season is basically over.  I just want to kwow why the leaves are behaving as if the plants aren't getting water, when this isn't the case.  If the cold is responsible for this, then I don't mind.  If the cold isn't responsible for this, then I need t know what is.

Yes, sounds like the cold to me. I had 8 plants outside in pots, and moved all but 1 into the garage. (No space left, so I had to leave a soldier behind.)

Last night it dropped down below 30 degrees and when I woke up it looked exactly like you described.

It's the cold. Mine do that every year when the low temps are in the 30s for a prolonged period before actually freezing. I didn't get a real frost until the middle of Nov this year, which is quite late here, and my plants had dropped more than half of their leaves by then. Other years with earlier frosts, the plants look great right up to the night frost gets them.

dragon49 said:
well if your aware of this . than theres no point in going further with the question . your answer is  -  tropical plant , not so tropical cold .      :onfire:

muskymojo said:
It's the cold. Mine do that every year when the low temps are in the 30s for a prolonged period before actually freezing. I didn't get a real frost until the middle of Nov this year, which is quite late here, and my plants had dropped more than half of their leaves by then. Other years with earlier frosts, the plants look great right up to the night frost gets them.

grover said:

Yes, sounds like the cold to me. I had 8 plants outside in pots, and moved all but 1 into the garage. (No space left, so I had to leave a soldier behind.)

Last night it dropped down below 30 degrees and when I woke up it looked exactly like you described.

Weed said:
check the roots

disease tends to set in near the end, they may not be getting water
If I have a chance, I will.

Thanks for all of the replies.  I'm glad the problem is the cold and not something else.   I wonder whether this is simply caused by water changing into ice and not being able to travel from the roots to the leaves.  The good news is that so far, this is only happening to a small percentage of the leaves on my pepper plants, and I still have some pods yet to ripen.  This has been my best season ever, so I have nothing to complain about.  This is what is happening to My Aji Cereza:

Yea, near-freezing is hard on the leaves.  Even here in Aridzona, the plants are looking pretty puny.

A sheet tossed over the plants will reduce the radiant cooling effect which can cause local freezing on mid-30s nights.

grover said:

yes all my annuums looked like that this morning.

SavinaRed said:
yes all my annuums looked like that this morning.

:tear: Yep, 4 rocoto's full of green pods wilted all to krap from that freeze. Grover is right it got to 27 in Sonoma last night.

Geonerd said:
Yea, near-freezing is hard on the leaves.  Even here in Aridzona, the plants are looking pretty puny.

A sheet tossed over the plants will reduce the radiant cooling effect which can cause local freezing on mid-30s nights.
Well, in some parts. It was a twee frosty on the roof this morning but still warm enough in the garden for no damage.

But the drooping and such definately sounds like cold damage. The plants shut down the branches in the low 30s. They don't die, just get dormant.

Back