• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Is there such a thing as an early ripening C. pubescens?

Bou

Extreme Member
Question for you Rocoto and other C. pubescens aficionados: Is there any fast maturing & tasty C. pubescens out there?? So far I've only found two that would qualify: mini Rocoto (PI 387838) and Chocolate Rocoto X PS (both from semillas.de). With a rather short growing season, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Any of the smaller podded varieties(the mini one you mentioned) will ripen faster but I feel they lack the flavor and versatility of the large ones. Don't even try to grow in the ground if you are 5a or further north. That is where I am and it takes a very long time for them to fruit that way. I found that smaller containers will force them to to ripen faster but then you are feeding and watering much more. The only thing I could really say to do would be start earlier. I start mine in the first or second week of March and harvest in September.

Any of the smaller podded varieties(the mini one you mentioned) will ripen faster but I feel they lack the flavor and versatility of the large ones. Don't even try to grow in the ground if you are 5a or further north. That is where I am and it takes a very long time for them to fruit that way. I found that smaller containers will force them to to ripen faster but then you are feeding and watering much more. The only thing I could really say to do would be start earlier. I start mine in the first or second week of March and harvest in September.
Ok, I have some mini olive seeds left so I might give it another try (I failed at my first and only attempt). Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Picture is of the three DeSorta DeSeda F1(CD) I harvested today. I'm also trying the Mini-Olive this year, and really interested in these Rocoto Aji Largo, @Crazy Monkey who do you recommend for a vendor of those?

These may not qualify as an early ripening, but they do well indoors and were still putting on pods until about a week ago. Flavor is decent and heat is solid, but they are a gangly thing compared to the Mini-Brown, which had great compact form and grew like a champ indoors.. Shame about the flavor. I want to say these were really comparable in first harvest time to the Mini-Brown, about 10 months, with a good chunk of that being indoors.

Also, they are semi-deciduous, coming off the calyx clean when fully ripe. I want to say the Mini-Roc varieties are the same way.

Attachments

• 20211208_131124.jpg
    20211208_131124.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Reactions: Bou
Picture is of the three DeSorta DeSeda F1(CD) I harvested today. I'm also trying the Mini-Olive this year, and really interested in these Rocoto Aji Largo, @Crazy Monkey who do you recommend for a vendor of those?

These may not qualify as an early ripening, but they do well indoors and were still putting on pods until about a week ago. Flavor is decent and heat is solid, but they are a gangly thing compared to the Mini-Brown, which had great compact form and grew like a champ indoors.. Shame about the flavor. I want to say these were really comparable in first harvest time to the Mini-Brown, about 10 months, with a good chunk of that being indoors.

Also, they are semi-deciduous, coming off the calyx clean when fully ripe. I want to say the Mini-Roc varieties are the same way.
I got mine from Trade Winds Fruit (its been a while though & they never seem to have anymore in stock) and Semillas La Palma.
https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/rocoto-aji-largo-pepper-seeds

Last edited:
Would Rocoto Mountufar also qualify as a "faster ripening" variety??

If you would like some aji largo seeds I have extras. Message me where to send them and I'll drop them in the mail.

Probably just an echo here, but I found the Mini Reds
ripened pretty early and were really nice and juicy, very
flavorful. I felt the Mini Yellows fell just a bit short of the
Reds in both areas. A bit dryer and not as flavorful.

@Bou - Here in my corner of the PNW, the Montufar took
forever. Very productive, setting about 3 dozen pods, but
very slow to ripen. I really only got a couple close to ripe.
Many softened and fell off the plant in the cool dampness
of Fall.

Probably just an echo here, but I found the Mini Reds
ripened pretty early and were really nice and juicy, very
flavorful. I felt the Mini Yellows fell just a bit short of the
Reds in both areas. A bit dryer and not as flavorful.

@Bou - Here in my corner of the PNW, the Montufar took
forever. Very productive, setting about 3 dozen pods, but
very slow to ripen. I really only got a couple close to ripe.
Many softened and fell off the plant in the cool dampness
of Fall.
Thanks for your "echo" PG👌

...but I found the Mini Reds ripened pretty early and were really nice and juicy, very flavorful.

Oh great, another seed to chase!

Thanks a lot buddy.

j/k lol. Great feedback on the Mini red P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bou
Back