• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this a Big Jim?

I'm not too good with labeling and don't remember where I put all of my plants. Please help identify this: I think it is a Big Jim. If so, I'll be proud, as I grew this from seed.

Take a look.

Thanks,

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

don't know what it is other than one huge chili pepper...

Went to pick green chile last weekend and they had Big Jim, Sandia, Sahuaro, and a XX variety. Over all the Big Jim is well bigger but if you look long enough you can find a few Big Jim sized pods of the other varieties. I've been eating green chile for over 30 years and still can't tell what variety a pod is by sight or even taste. The green chile really is the bastard stepchild of the hobby. If you can tell us what the other possibilities are for this pod, based on the seeds you planted, it might be easier to eliminate some of them and narrow the list. Good luck

Beaglestorm

Now that I am reading your reply, I don't think I grew anything that could be this big other than a Big Jim:

Rocotto - These are circular
Red Cherry - Small and Circular
Super Chile - Different Shape
Lemon Drop - Different Shape
Various Belle's - Different Shape
Cayenne - I don't think these get so thick

I may have picked up some other varities at the nursery that I am not remembering now.

I am not saying it isn't a Big Jim, but all the ones I have seen are tapered or more pointed toward the end. If you look at a sack of Big Jims you will see many sizes and shapes, depending on where the chile was placed on the plant. It may be a Big Jim not fully grown. Roast it and enjoy.:)

I'd say its a Big Jim. They can grow all different sizes and they have inconsistant heat levels.
Personally I'm very anxious to try the improved Numex bigJim heritage edition next year which is said to have more flavor, better production, and consistant medium heat

After tasting it, I was doubting it was a Big Jim, but then saw the post abput the inconsistent heat levels. I ate it raw. This was a delicious sweet pepper, but with almost no heat! There was a tiny amoung of heat as I got near the stem, no heat at all, anywhere else in the pepper. Earlier in the season, I picked what I knew was a Big Jim, when it was still green - see http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/16692-picked-and-ate-my-first-big-jim-of-the-season/page__p__356344#entry356344. This had a good amount of heat, while the pepper in question had almost no heat. Is it possible to have inconsistent heat level for peppers produced from the same plant?

After tasting it, I was doubting it was a Big Jim, but then saw the post abput the inconsistent heat levels. I ate it raw. This was a delicious sweet pepper, but with almost no heat! There was a tiny amoung of heat as I got near the stem, no heat at all, anywhere else in the pepper. Earlier in the season, I picked what I knew was a Big Jim, when it was still green - see http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/16692-picked-and-ate-my-first-big-jim-of-the-season/page__p__356344#entry356344. This had a good amount of heat, while the pepper in question had almost no heat. Is it possible to have inconsistent heat level for peppers produced from the same plant?
Yes, its very common with BigJims

Thanks,

With 8,191 posts, I'll take your word for it!

I suspect that seeds from this plant are just as likely to produce peppers with heat as seeds from Other Big Jim's that had a lot of heat, and seeds from that pepper are just as likely to produce peppers with no heat as seeds from this pepper. Is this correct?

Back