• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this a calcium issue?...

I apologize, I know the leaves look a little rough apart from the curling, but I am working on that and hoping once the night time lows actually get out of the 40's and 50's it will look healthier. There is a lot of secondary growth on the stem, so that is encouraging I think.
Anyways, I have read on here where excessive "dimpling" of the leaves might be a calcium deficiency, just wanted to see if that's what I have here:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Could be calcium but parts of it actually look like it might be over fertilized. How often are you feeding?

I don't feed it regularly. I used basic fafard soil which doesn't have any extra fertilizers added to it, and mixed in about half the tomato tone as was recommended. I surface dressed with maybe a teaspoon of mater magic (an 8-5-5) around the base of each plant but not on the stem. That was about 5 days ago.

i get that all the time on some of my plants and i have baked ground egg shell in my soil mix. could be lack of magnesium as well.
i heard of farmers adding sour milk to their crops as well, i haven't done that, so i don't know what problems that may bring, like molds etc.

i get that all the time on some of my plants and i have baked ground egg shell in my soil mix. could be lack of magnesium as well.
i heard of farmers adding sour milk to their crops as well, i haven't done that, so i don't know what problems that may bring, like molds etc.

I am worried because the mater magic and tomato tone both have calcium in them. I am wondering if the unseasonable cold weather has done anything to they way they use nutrients. I am going to flush them good with water tomorrow and then let them dry out for the next couple of days. It can't be anything with my tap water, I grew chiles last summer and watered with tap and they were fine, given I didn't grow habaneros. As far as a magnesium supplement, isn't epsom salt magnesium or is there something else I should try and in what amount?

Many of my plants were looking similar to your picture. They were in different growing medias and being fed different but still many showed deformities on the leaves. I figured my water must be kinda off.

Checked my ph and it was high, I've been lowering it with some ph down and the plants are looking less mutant... Also I just have water in a garbage can with air stones running constantly.

I also bought a bunch of sunshine #4 to use for all my container plants and am feeding them with guano tea and monitoring the ph before every watering. All my potted up plants are looking better now.

Lots to learn and hopefully next year I'll be a little more dialed in and less lazy (HA...)!

Back