• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Is this a Ghost Pepper plant?

Hello! This is a plant I received as a gift almost a year ago in one of those "Ghost Peppers in a can" kits. I grew it from a seedling last summer, overwintered it, and have seen several ripening peppers lately. The peppers are a lot smaller than what they are reported to grow to and when I tried one of the smaller ones it definitely had a kick, but not burn your face off fire as I expected. The peppers don't grow very much larger than an inch before they turn red and then stay the same. I fertilize the plant every two weeks and love it regardless of it's flavor, but I was just curious if it's an entirely different plant or if I'm doing something wrong. Thank you!
IMG_20190330_164301.jpg
IMG_20190408_161150.jpg
IMG_20190408_161137.jpg
IMG_20190408_161128.jpg
IMG_20190407_130047.jpg

Doesn't look like a ghost but I will say, that plant doesn't look healthy and an unhealthy plant can tend to throw some weird phenos from my experience. Give that plant a little more "ideal" growing conditions and see what you get.

Edmick said:
What part of California are you from? I'm assuming southern based on the view from your back door
I am from SoCal. It's funny you mentioned the plant being unhealthy because another user had told me it looked in great shape. It just started warming up here recently so the plant is doing much better than it was. It turned a bit yellow over the winter, and in the past month or so, it really started to turn the beautiful green it used to be and is growing new leaves. Do you have any suggestions to give it better growing conditions or just keep waiting for it to warm up some more here? I'm a complete newbie to growing peppers and some of the peppers started budding at the end of winter which I realized I should have prevented

Alliestars said:
I am from SoCal. It's funny you mentioned the plant being unhealthy because another user had told me it looked in great shape. It just started warming up here recently so the plant is doing much better than it was. It turned a bit yellow over the winter, and in the past month or so, it really started to turn the beautiful green it used to be and is growing new leaves. Do you have any suggestions to give it better growing conditions or just keep waiting for it to warm up some more here? I'm a complete newbie to growing peppers and some of the peppers started budding at the end of winter which I realized I should have prevented
My biggest suggestion would be to put it in a larger pot with quality soil. I'm in southern California also so I assume you have a hydro shop somewhat close. Shit, even miracle grow potting soil will do. Just get it into a larger pot and see what happens. In our hot summer climate, they just don't seem to thrive. A large pot in our climate goes a long way. And shade cloth. But that's a whole other conversation.

Edmick said:
My biggest suggestion would be to put it in a larger pot with quality soil. I'm in southern California also so I assume you have a hydro shop somewhat close. Shit, even miracle grow potting soil will do. Just get it into a larger pot and see what happens. In our hot summer climate, they just don't seem to thrive. A large pot in our climate goes a long way. And shade cloth. But that's a whole other conversation.
Okay, thank you so much for the advice! I actually just replanted it into the current pot it's in a few weeks ago. I'm unsure how big the pot is but I think it's at least 3 gallons (the picture might make it look small). I originally was using Miracle Grow soil but I mixed it with some regular potting mix which I think might have been a mistake because it seems pretty low quality. I will try repotting it again soon in a 5 gallon with higher quality soil and go from there!

CaneDog said:
Yeah, good luck with that one.  I'll be interested to see how it looks and what sort of pods it's throwing when it's settled into the new pot and soil and some outdoor sun.  Heck, anyone can get hold of a ghost pepper; you might have something kinda special here.

Agreed. It might throw out some whacky looking pods.

Back