Is this a normal size for 1.5 capsicum chinense?

Hey guys I am a very beginner grower, and recently wanted to start growing hot peppers. I am very doubtful I will get any fruit this year because I started so late (Late March, Early April). My question is, do these plants look healthy/ normal for being 1.5 months old? I don't think so. They've been recovering from overwatering. Thanks.

Chocolate Habañeros

Hot chipotle

Caribbean Red Pepper in Dormant State

Bhut Jolokia

All pepper plants roughly 1.5 months old

Yep, they look fine. Lemon? First I've heard of that! The reason they're so small still is because they're in larger pots. They're focusing their energy into establishing roots. Once that's done, the tops will take off. Not sure how long your growing season is, but you may get pods this year. Just keep them watered maybe once a week, just enough to dampen the soil, make sure they get plenty of light, and they should be just fine. Light, light, and more light is the key at this stage.

you could help their development a little by adding more soil... enough to cover the stem up to the cotyledons (first leaves at the bottom). That will make the stem put out additional roots

Man. Thank you sooo sooo much for the speedy reply, but also for the relief! I care too much about these pepper plants haha. And you also replied to my earlier post about the overwatered bhut jolokia. Thanks for the relief!

As far as the lemon goes, I was reluctant to hear about the citrus fruits containing a lot of calcium. I hear lime works just as great. I also have eggshells sprinkled over the soil for good measures.
Also, I live in Maryland (Zone 7b)

Obeychase said:
Man. Thank you sooo sooo much for the speedy reply, but also for the relief! I care too much about these pepper plants haha. And you also replied to my earlier post about the overwatered bhut jolokia. Thanks for the relief!

As far as the lemon goes, I was reluctant to hear about the citrus fruits containing a lot of calcium. I hear lime works just as great. I also have eggshells sprinkled over the soil for good measures.
Also, I live in Maryland (Zone 7b)

ermmm lol, unless this is a new thing...when people talk about "lime" in terms of gardening..they are talking about lime stone, crushed into a powder - not lime the fruit...
If you are assuming lemons contain calcium because its a citrius fruit similar to a lime fruit then you are way off the mark...yea..get some garden lime.. 

Guess who feels like an idiot? Sorry about the misleading info about the lemon. Maybe there is some calcium from the lemon. Not sure though. Thanks for correcting me :)

cruzzfish said:
Looks a bit big for 1.5 months. My infinities are that size and they're about three months.
I don't mean to criticize, but those seedlings are a bit small for 6 weeks (understandable for a rookie grower and plants recovering from overwatering) and you are telling me you have 12 week old seedlings that are only that big! I'm not trying to be mean, but something is missing brotha! You need more light or more nutes or something! Chinenses should be that size at 3-4 weeks and annuums twice that size!
Obeychase said:
Since I am located in Maryland, (Zone 7b) do you think I will get pods this year? (Fingers crossed)
your climate is pretty similar to mine, I'm in northwestern North carolina, and I've been able to eek a few ripe pods started of chinenses started as late as June 15th, so if you can get those buggers to put on some growth, you should be able to swing at least a few ripe peppers this season. Let me ask you what are you using for soil, what size container are you using, what light source is on them?

I dunno Chili_freak I'm inclined to agree with 

The reason they're so small still is because they're in larger pots. They're focusing their energy into establishing roots. Once that's done, the tops will take off.

As for these plants, most are in 10 inch pots. Some in 8 inch. I have Miracle Gro Moisture Control with Slow Release Fertilizer for soil. As for the light, these plants were started indoors under 4ft grow lights for the first week or so. Then transplanted outdoors.
The plants are all outside with the sun as their primary light source. The thermometer in one of my pots reads 120 ferenheit as it gets so hot on my deck. But these guys get light from sun up to sun down.
Some of the plants also wilt, or "shut down", as it gets so hot. They perk up once again during the cool temps in the evening. I read that this is normal though.

I think your still watering too much. Don't water till wilt! I agree with adding more soil. I see new growers p^ssy footing with container soil.
More sun I'm thinking as well.

I would add that the soil level is a bit too low in your pots, it should be higher as long as yur plants are so small, because now they are deep there and can't enjoy the entire light.
As for the future, I would recommend to grow them for example in plastic cups, and repot them later in bigger pots.

Hey so a quick little update/concern about my plants. As I stated before, my plants wilt during the hottest points of the day. But today some of my plants are wilted. I mean WILTED. The tips of the leaves have turned white, and they look absolutely miserable. Again, I'm a newbie so am I stressing way too much or do these guys need to be moved ASAP?

Chocolate Habañero

Bhut Jolokia

I just feel like these guys aren't growing right and most likely will disappoint me this year.

Back