• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Is this a Tabasco pepper plant?

So my parents were at a local nursery yesterday and grabbed me a couple new pepper plants. One was labled scorpion and the other is labled as "pepper hot - basket of fire". I think it looks like a tabasco plant but not sure. Any ideas? Thanks.

0C55DA0C-04FC-4EDA-9E9F-ABE2C47A1CB7.jpg

2262320D-FF0F-466F-AB73-86E4BDFA972A.jpg

It looks like it's closely related, but if was a betting man, I'd say it's not tabasco. Those leaves in the picture are much more slender than tabasco. The pods look extremely similar, but basket of fire is a small, compact plant, while tabasco can grow quite large. I have one that's over 4 feet tall and about the same in diameter. If I remember correctly, 'Basket of Fire' is an ornamental. Have you eaten one yet?

Here's some info from the Patio Edibles website

http://patio-edibles.com/pepper-hot/basket-of-fire/

Agree with Phil. Quick Google search found this: http://www.garden.org/subchannels/edibles/veggies?q=show&id=3439

Here's an excerpt: Bred by Floranova, Ltd., this new variety produces a profusion of 2 inch long, 1/4 ounce, conical, tapered fruits -- often more than 300 peppers per plant! The peppers change from cream to orange and finally to red at maturity in a colorful show and the small leaves allow the brightly-hued fruits to take center stage. You can use these spicy hot peppers in the kitchen as well.

Thank you for the information. I guess I could have googled it just thought I knew. I am kind of dissapointed but it will look nice in my collection I suppose. They did also get me another scorpion so I guess I am happy with that.

chiefmanywrenches said:
I am kind of dissapointed but it will look nice in my collection I suppose.

The good news is that both the basket of fire and tabasco are about the same heat level (80K-100K SHU), so realistically, you probably wouldn't be able to tell which one was which in a blind taste test.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a tabasco either. My parents have a house near a nursery that they frequent. I asked them to talk to the guys there and see if they have any superhots. I was not able to answer the phone when they called so they winged it. I am thankful for them and happy I got them but was looking for something a little more unique I guess. I will put these to good use either way.

Your basket of Fire is very close to taste and heat of a cayenne. I had 2 of them this year and not only are they a very nice ornamental plant the peppers are tasty too. Good for a stir fry or munching on while walking in the backyard looking at the other plants....and very prolific too.

Enjoy them, I plan to have them next year too (daughter wants one too)

OhioHeat

gallery_7191_153_172624.jpg

Back