• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is this a weed or something edible?

At first I thought this was some sort of overwintered parsley, but it is nowhere near where I plant my herbs.  I tasted a piece and it was unpleasant.

WTF is this:

My guess is wild chrysanthemum, also known as mugwort (although I never knew they were one and the same until my latest google search).  Does it have a (at least in my opinion) pleasant smell when you tear a leaf?  The best way I could describe it is like some kind of sweet/spice scent.  

Oh and one more thing... you're supposed to smoke the weeds, not eat them  :high:  lol!

sreinhard88 said:
My guess is wild chrysanthemum.  Does it have a (at least in my opinion) pleasant smell when you tear a leaf?  The best way I could describe it is like some kind of sweet/spice scent.  
wild mum is another good guess, I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen them but it definitely has mum-like leaves

It looks like a member of the carrot family, like cow parsnip or giant hogweed. I wouldn't recommend eating any more until you have it IDed. Some members of the family are really poisonous - water hemlock and giant hogweed, for example.

It is a weed and very annoying. The root system is crazy and when you think you have gotten it all, 5 more plants appear. I just weeded about 200 of those things a few days back. 

It does smell sweet when crushed in my hands, but I doubt if it is edible.

I dug up as much as I could.  It has a nasty, nasty root system.

dragon49 said:
It does smell sweet when crushed in my hands, but I doubt if it is edible.

I dug up as much as I could.  It has a nasty, nasty root system.
Exactly as I described. Try to get as much of it as you can up if not it takes over! 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Exactly as I described. Try to get as much of it as you can up if not it takes over! 
any idea what it is?  I think I noticed some at the edge of the field today

Back