• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Is this actually a tabasco pepper?

I bought these at the last minute because I just didn't have enough plants crammed into my limited growing space. They were labeled "Tabasco" but I didn't think anyone was legally entitled to use that name. Do they look like tabasco peppers? (I've never grown or seen an actual tabasco pepper)

The peppers: (not fully developed yet)

pepper_flr2wjxmoc.jpg

The flower(s):

pepperf_5mdf15kq3p.jpg

Bonus pic of Thai Hots cranking them out: (bonus points for spotting hornworm egg...squished after pic was taken)

peppert_y1yhar1ym8.jpg

that looks like tabasco or tabasco v. malagueta - grew some a few years ago and they looked almost identical. The tell tell is when they get ripe, they will be very soft fleshed in comparison to other peppers. I loved them, great peppers to make sauce with :P

Tabasco is a region in mexico. From what I understand that is where the peppers originated and the seeds were brought back by a soldier in the mexican/american war. I don't think they own the name since it is the name of the specific pepper. It would be like someone owning the name Jalapeno if they made a Jalapeno Sauce Company. What tabasco does own is their recipe and trademark. Not the name of the pepper.

you can buy tabasco pepper seeds from almost any large seed supplier...

and yup...that's what they look like....

talkin' about the first pic Dorkasaurus posted...and your pic...I see a little yellowish tinge to his...or are my eyes that bad?

talkin' about the first pic Dorkasaurus posted...and your pic...I see a little yellowish tinge to his...or are my eyes that bad?

My cel cam isn't the best for taking pics but I wouldn't call them yellow. They're more of a pale green if I had to name their color... similar to the shade of green my caribbean reds are starting off with but lighter.

Anyway whatever they are the first one I ate had some bite to it so that's a good sign considering the pepper I ate was less than two weeks old. :P

Back