Is this BER? (Photos)

I'm with meinchoh on this one. It almost looks like sun scald as it is. Keep an eye on it though. If those spots start turning black and spreading, BER is possible.

yeah sun scald. if you got any water on the pod during a really sunny day it works like a magnifying glass and can scald.

Just a tad more info for those not familiar with BER. Typically, in early BER, the pod will get an area that becomes soft and seems watery. It's usually a larger area than in the pics above. On the Big Jim pod, for example, it would frequently be the entire lower end. That soft, watery area may then progress to something similar to the sun scald above and, if left on the plant, will become black. Note that while the name BER means it most commonly is found on the ends, it isn't uncommon to have it start on the sides, instead. And yes, as RogueJim indicated, BER is most commonly a sign that the plants aren't getting enough calcium and magnesium.

Definitely not blossom or bloom end rot. That originates where the flower was attached to the end of the fruit. My roma tomatoes see it more than anything else I grow.

Roguejim said:
Well, since I water between midnight and 1:00AM, we can dismiss your "against the grain" diagnosis as simply, incorrect.
Upon further review the call on the ice stands. Sunscald it is.

Edit: just seems weird where it's happening. Usually sun scald is on the part the sun hits most. You'd think that the big jim would have it in more places than just on the lower portion and just pea sized. Though maybe it was converted by a leaf?

Neil

Yeah, I know what you mean, but, those plants get blasted by sun first thing in the morning, and we're already into 90F+ weather.

Back