• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this blossom end rot or some other kind of rot

Here are a couple of Biker Billys that are rotted on the ends. I'm thinking it's BER, though they don't have the telltale rotted spot - more like a rotted entire blossom end. This happened VERY fast - in a day or two. I am quite frustrated with BER this season - nearly all of my non-Chinenses in containers are experiencing BER or some other type of rot so far this year. I keep waiting for it to go away on the next pods and then it doesn't. I would appreciate any input or expertise on what this looks like in the pics below (BER or something else) and how to prevent it.

The plants these came from are in 5 gallon pots of pro-mix with some compost and tomato-tone. Thus, they have calcium via the tomato-tone. I have had to water every day for the past 2 weeks, as it is over 100 degrees here in Virginia and at noon every day the plants look like they're going to fall over dead from the heat. I suspect it is the constant watering that is causing the rot. But I really don't know what to do about that - the heat seems to mandate the watering. The soil in the pots does not seem "soaked" to the touch, just moderately wet. This is happening in a half dozen different plants of different cultivars, so there is some common problem here, not a one-off issue with one plant.

Thoughts?

008-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Most likely BER. Assuming your soil ph is good and you are giving proper amounts of calcium, you just need to regulate the watering conditions. With temps that high, you could probably use a good inch or two of mulch. Keeps the soil temps down and also prevents quick water evaporation. Whenever you go from very dry to very wet soil (and vice versa), roots will have trouble with calcium uptake. Good luck.

Back