• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Is this breeding idea possible?

I don't expect it to be this simple, but would it be possible to basically create almost a copy of an f1?  My idea is that since most varieties are inbred to the point where they are almost clones, is it possible, for instance, to recreate pepper "x"?  Lets say pepper x's parents are the 7 pot douglah and the trinidad moruga scorpion, if I am looking to copy the pepper x in its first generation would it be safe to assume I can just cross the douglah with the scorpion again and end up with the same pepper again?

And I understand the pod variation thing but would they be nearly genetically identical or am I wrong?

Yeah that is how all F1 varieties you see for sale are made. 2 pure true breeding strains crossed will provide reasonably uniform F1 generation. Trick is making sure the two parent strains are stable enough that you get this kind of consistency in the F1 generation.

Making F1 crosses is probably the easiest thing of any kind of breeding effort, stabilizing those crosses into a true breeding new strain is the hard part.

TXCG said:
Yeah that is how all F1 varieties you see for sale are made. 2 pure true breeding strains crossed will provide reasonably uniform F1 generation. Trick is making sure the two parent strains are stable enough that you get this kind of consistency in the F1 generation.

Making F1 crosses is probably the easiest thing of any kind of breeding effort, stabilizing those crosses into a true breeding new strain is the hard part.
Is it common to follow the crosses that people do to make popular f1's like the chocolate bhutlah, reaper and whatnot?  Or I should say is it possible?  I am a newbie.

Clone the F1 from cuttings,probably a Lot less work.

I've found that using a rooting powder or dip that has the most different mixes of Hormone in it works best,I use liquid dip N Grow then dip it in powder Rootone,thenTake root works for me the best.
Either by itself didn't work very well.
2 of either also didn't do as well as all 3.
You can buy rooting stuff that has all the stuff in it my mix does but a couple oz. cost a Lot.
Buying all 3 costs more but I get a life time supply...

Different plants respond to different hormones.

Back