Is this MH usable?

I might have the opportunity to get one of these FREE from my workplace.  I'm not sure of the wattage.  They look heavy, but, considering the price, would it be usable?

You're probably going to want to reconfigure it. That glass is heavy and you might want the ballast and socket separate. But there's probably a few people here who can help you do that.

And make sure it isn't on 277 volts.

MH is what I use with good success, so yes you can use it if you can power it.

Thanks.  I'll have to check if it's tapped for 120.  Does the ballast have to be separated from the socket?  I should have my answer this week whether I can acquire one of these, or not.

Some of these are set up so you can switch the voltage. I have a couple that have additional wire leads inside and allow you to set them up for 277 volts, 240volts and 120 volts.  If you can get the model and make off one, you should be able to look through manufacture up on the web and see if they are switchable.  The wires were marked in mine, which was a blessing for me.
Good luck.

It's looking like a "no" from the boss.  Thanks anyway.

On the other hand, I'm looking into one or two of these.  Wired for household current, but needs a plug.  I just need to figure a way to hang the thing.  It looks like it will need some reflective material inside(emergency blanket).  The price is what got my attention...

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/4284653638.html

This one has a high-bay reflector and will not work well for growing chiles unless you change the reflector.

willard3 said:
This one has a high-bay reflector and will not work well for growing chiles unless you change the reflector.

High bay reflectors work perfectly as well as any other reflector. That kind is just heavy and awkward. It's also clear which means not as much light is directed downwards. There are high bay reflectors that are not clear or glass and reflect just as much as a rectangular shaped reflector but do so into a circular pattern.

R0579225-25.jpg

Thanks, but like I said above, it's a "no" from my boss on getting one.  I'm going to look at a Sun Systems switchable ballast/reflector pictured in another thread, tomorrow.  If it looks good, and works, I'll stop the bleeding and just buy the thing.

High bay reflectors don't work well/efficiently unless used in high bays......hence the name.
Check the photometrics of high-bays as opposed to low-bays.

willard3 said:
High bay reflectors don't work well/efficiently unless used in high bays......hence the name.
Check the photometrics of high-bays as opposed to low-bays.

Thanks, Willard.  In the case of 2-4month old seedlings, do you think I would notice much of a difference?  After 4 months, the seedlings will go outdoors.

I'll actually be looking at the one in post #8 above, this weekend.  Anything in particular I should consider?  The Sun System isn't going to happen after all.

Back