• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this mold or some other problem

leaves that are doing this drop off early and the whole plant in general is having smaller and smaller new leaf growth and leaves are more and more pale. Trying to figure out what this might be. Any input appreciated. Now I have not been fertilizing recently in anticipation of trying to overwinter because I think I read that the plant may not need any fertilizers if its not going to get much light to get a lot of new growth....

spots.jpg

Ya not sure exactly. Seeemed fine earlier in the year but its slowly been getting worse. I usually water when the pot that its in feels pretty light (like 1/2 the weight of when I first water it) which ends up being once every week these days. What I might do is to give it a bit of light fertilizing and see if things get any better over the next few weeks.

That just might be mold. There is something going on in this region, and a lot of the plants around here (NE Ohio) look like that. Some of my basil got wiped out by what looks like that, and neighbor's trees and other plants are getting wiped out too. It's a shame to see the really, really tall trees have to come down. I briefly heard something on the radio the other day talking about some kind of mold coming out of Canada, so I'd suggest checking it out with your local ag office. Hope that's not it, though. This stuff is pretty nasty.

Very interesting Geeme, I almost completely lost my Magnolia tree this past season to "Scales". The leaves looked just like this picture and it was so bad that you actually got wet if you stood under the tree from the "honeydew" that was being discharged. Hacked off many branches and lost many sections / leaves etc. Have to wait and see what happens in the spring as it suffered bad, real bad. The red Lily bugs were severe as well, another problem I've never had. Makes one wonder if it's all related in one way or another.

Very interesting Geeme, I almost completely lost my Magnolia tree this past season to "Scales". The leaves looked just like this picture and it was so bad that you actually got wet if you stood under the tree from the "honeydew" that was being discharged. Hacked off many branches and lost many sections / leaves etc. Have to wait and see what happens in the spring as it suffered bad, real bad. The red Lily bugs were severe as well, another problem I've never had. Makes one wonder if it's all related in one way or another.
I'll have to look up "scales". The trees around here that I've seen on my walks have two things going on. One looks like a massive flock of birds seriously dookied on the branches, but all black, almost foamy looking, but not. Oh, I know - if you find the post by RichardK on candied habaneros, someone posted a real f* up from the oven - the stuff on the trees looks like that. I haven't seen that specifically on other types of plants, but the effect on the leaves is similar - they look a lot like the leaf svtcontour posted - start getting brown on the outside, yellow on the inside, and deteriorate quickly. Next thing you know, an entire branch is just dead. The other thing is holey leaves - tons and tons of them.

I wish you well on the magnolia.

Back