• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this powdery mildew?

These are my jalapenos about 3 weeks since the initial transplant from the coco pellet.
They went into a dixie cup mix of peat/verm/perlite with mushroom compost and cow manure compost first, started under 6500k t8 bulbs
Now they are in a mix of sunshine #4 advanced, earthworm castings, mushroom composted hpoo, espoma's kelp meal, plant tone and garden tone, and mushroom composted hardwood fines, under a 250w hps equipped with an agricultural bulb.

These are my jalapenos about 3 weeks since the initial transplant from the coco pellet.
They went into a dixie cup mix of peat/verm/perlite with mushroom compost and cow manure compost first, started under 6500k t8 bulbs
Now they are in a mix of sunshine #4 advanced, earthworm castings, mushroom composted hpoo, espoma's kelp meal, plant tone and garden tone, and mushroom composted hardwood fines, under a 250w hps equipped with an agricultural bulb.

I don't see a pic.

trying to figure out uploads, preemptive click on the submit thread button

m7faki.jpg

2cyi9vm.jpg

3535ikz.jpg

10n89cg.jpg

2aikl8z.jpg

With the very yellow lighting, it's hard to tell. On a note of observation, however, looks like your plants aren't too keen on either the water or the light rig you have. The leaves are bunched up somethin' fierce, and that usually means that they are trying to conserve water by increasing their surface area. That first plant pic is supposedly a Jalapeno? It looks like some sort of C.Chinense, not C.Annuum to me. I could be wrong, though, I'm still fairly green (pun intended!), and I'm not fully privy to all determinants of plant species. In any case, do you have a thermostat with humidity sensor? If not, I recommend picking up one of those, and maybe a humidifier if the humidity is an issue. Also, check your soil. My guess is either too-dry soil, or the lights are throwing off too much IR waves, and the leaves are compensating by crinkling up so as not to dry out.

Other than those couple observations, the plants in general seem to be pretty healthy. Nice height-to-foliage ratio, good leaf color at least from these pics.

Edema.. I've had problems with this, and even after correcting my watering so that they really dry out first, the tent I have just stays really humid even with a fan on all the time, and it venting a lot.. but its only another month and it's under control enough so that only some of the plants are affected.. but unless someone points out mites or something like that.. which I really don't think it is, unless you see them moving around.. then it's edema, especially if it feels like the bumps are kind of like water blisters if you scrape them with your finger.. which I wouldn't do much because it will just damage it more.. but just to get a feel..

and if you don't have a fan blowing on them.. get one, just a nice gentle breeze is good

The whitish patches in the very top pic do look like powdery mildew.
It makes sense that some edema would be evident since both
problems are caused by excess water / humidity. Most of the
plants seem pretty healthy; you should have some good ones at
planting out time.

+1 on the fan idea. Good luck going forward, Fungolia!

Edema.. I've had problems with this, and even after correcting my watering so that they really dry out first, the tent I have just stays really humid even with a fan on all the time, and it venting a lot.. but its only another month and it's under control enough so that only some of the plants are affected.. but unless someone points out mites or something like that.. which I really don't think it is, unless you see them moving around.. then it's edema, especially if it feels like the bumps are kind of like water blisters if you scrape them with your finger.. which I wouldn't do much because it will just damage it more.. but just to get a feel..

and if you don't have a fan blowing on them.. get one, just a nice gentle breeze is good

Do the leaves recover from this or do they stay crinkled up? I can't tell if mine are having calcium deficiency problems or a light case of edema. Mine are just crinkled slightly without spots. I've corrected my cayenne plant. Its new growth is normal but the crinkled leaves stay the same.

yeah I have noticed that the plants that have already been affected by the edema get a little better, but not much better..they will kind of flatten out a little almost, but still be crinkely I guess if that makes sense.. or they are a little more "perky" might be a better way of saying it, but all the new growth is good though, so I think eventually when the new leaves starting coming out from that node where the leaf with edema is, it will just drop the old leaves. and yeah Paul it could be powdery mildew if it has that type of texture and if you can remove it by brushing it off.. but I've had some of the plants get it on top a little too, mainly some of the hot cherry peppers, and the congo trinidads get almost like a crystal edema near the middle of the leaves and veins on top.. but that plant is just being a pain this year lol

at this point for me, I have just been keeping the fans going a lot and venting the tent, but it still is really humid no matter what, so I'm just waiting for them to go outside, they still grow really well, but some of the annuums and the congo trinidads are the worse with edema.. I don't even water them much and they still get it.. I guess they just really like it dry.. but whatever, they will all correct themselves soon

I keep meaning to post an update topic on all the plants so far just for kicks so I can get some input on a few things, since I didn't want to do a glog this year, I will have to take some pictures of them tonight and see if I can't get a thread posted tonight.. but right now I am out to expand the garden more and till up a million big rocks and the grass lol.. such a pain.

Back