• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Is this sun filter good..?

First pic, were outdoor plants from the very start. They were under a open but covered patio for germination and most of their early life. Never got full sun only indirect sun but lots of it. Almost a week now been getting 4-5 hours a day full sun. Are they ready for all day 10+ hours sFL sun..?

Been using an old Rheem a/h waffle coil air filter to 'filter' out to much light for my very young seedlings to help them get use to full sunlite. Is this a bad idea..?
You think in doesn't allow enough lite, or too much in..? How do you know when you have too much or not enough lite...?

Used that filter for these in their early life but not for weeks now,(first pic). Lately they've seem to take full sun for 4-5hours ok,, for the last 6 days, or maybe not..?
(see last pic)  There are a couple small spots on just 1or2 of the plants that have me questioning if the spots are sunburn from small plants not being hardened off to full sun..? Whats your opinion guys and gals..?

Attachments

• srp8_1_19.jpg
    srp8_1_19.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20190802_114533.jpg
    20190802_114533.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190802_114604.jpg
    20190802_114604.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20190802_114618.jpg
    20190802_114618.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 88
  • srp8_2-19spots.jpg
    srp8_2-19spots.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 86
Last pic does look like sunburn. The best way to transition them to full light is gradually. Since you're already have them in full sun for a few hours a day, I would recommend just giving them an hour or two more every day as your schedule permits until they're in full sun all day. 

When I plant out late in the season, I use white cheese cloth suspended a couple feet over the plants to filter out light but still allow air circulation and instead of the traditional hardening off, I just I leave it over them for about a week then remove it. I still end up with some sunburns like your last pic.

I keep my plants in full shade, but with indirect light for their first few weeks. (I sprout the seeds outdoors, so hardening off is really a cinch)  Basically, this means that I put them on my back porch, just out of reach of any sun.  When I see them starting to get leaves, and wanting to stretch a bit, I let them have the evening sun. (after 4pm) Do this for a couple weeks, until they get a few more leaves.  After that, I just let them go full sun.  If it looks like I'm gonna have a problem, it's morning sun (before 10am) and evening sun (after 4pm).  Maybe a week?

I've not had a problem with any kind of sun scald with that recipe.  I figure since we're growing in roughly the same conditions, maybe that would be helpful for you.

A trick I have started using this year, is to plant seedlings in cups with the bottoms cut out, and then bury them to the rim in my raised beds.  That way, they get to advantage of starting in cool ground, with ideal drainage, and no hardening off.  When it's time to let plant them for reals, I just pull the cup out of the bed, and move it to where it goes. (I start them like that so they are partially shaded by other plants, for more vigorous early growth in the hottest parts of the season)

Good reply guys. Like the cheese cloth method and the solo cups with bottom cut out.

Been doing the same morning/late afternoon sun but seems some still got burned. Maybe I'm going to fast, today they stayed out till noon...Not that it matters much, just wondering will the sun scald heal.? or is it pretty much like most all leaf damage, permanent.

Sun scald like you have pictured is permanent, but the leaf will usually survive and the plant won't mind too much. It may take a few days for the plant to recover and resume growth.

Hardening off is as much about getting the plant used to the ambient air, as it is the sun.   Wind, humidity, UV...  all of these things come into play.

Back