• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

is this the worst year for growing in E.Canada for you ?

Normally I am the guy giving away bags of Habeneros and Thai peppers .. but this year ..Ayeeee!
Following a rash of cool nights   my peppers only produced on the blossoms they went into the ground with , and never set another blossom !..
The ever reliable thai pepper plants  stayed small  and I will be buying them in the market this year .. and I have been growing them for  over 20 years !
My first 2 Maya Habeneros have just turned red  and they have been growing in a covered cold frame  every time the night temps dipped below 10C ..
A very odd season .. the apples were frosted back in May and the apples are patchy  , but we have big juicy  plums for the first time on several 15 year old  trees ? ? 
Next  I will year grow them even bigger with more blossoms before I put them out . ... next year ... yeah !

That sucks about your peppers, dude :(

Over here in Nova Scotia we've had some periods where it seemed like the rain would never end, but we've also had tons of sun and some awesome heat in the past month or more. This is my first year having a greenhouse and the plants are doing amazing - even ones that seemed like they were close to death (started inside, but had major issues with aphids) bounced back really well:

This is an attempt at a panoramic photo I took earlier today of my greenhouse:

20150823_114842.jpg

This is not a good year for me neither and its even colder back here in Quebec.

The cayenne (resemble your Thai) are so small I don't even think they will ripe,

I will have no "normal" jalapeno  (only farmer market from Judy) as the plant is still small and no flower yet. Suppose to be good in cold climate ( early jalapeno ) and I had 20 pods last year.

My best plant this year is the aji habanero you should try next year. There is literally over 30 pods in this. Rosemary pepper was pretty early too.

I hope the "summer" we got will last longer till the end of September because last 2 weeks as been pretty hot and nice (how it should be)

Misery loves company , thanks Charles I will check out the aji ... The Maya are producing   but slow to ripen this year !
tim

charlesquik said:
This is not a good year for me neither and its even colder back here in Quebec.

The cayenne (resemble your Thai) are so small I don't even think they will ripe,

I will have no "normal" jalapeno  (only farmer market from Judy) as the plant is still small and no flower yet. Suppose to be good in cold climate ( early jalapeno ) and I had 20 pods last year.

My best plant this year is the aji habanero you should try next year. There is literally over 30 pods in this. Rosemary pepper was pretty early too.

I hope the "summer" we got will last longer till the end of September because last 2 weeks as been pretty hot and nice (how it should be)

I am in Southern Ontario, (London)

I can say it has been an average year, I have some bhuts in the ground and one of them boomed with 30+ pods, and the other 3 have 4-5 tops.

Alot of leaf dropping and scraggly looking plants though not sure what happened there.

ChiliNoob said:
I must be the exception to the rule, this has been my best season yet for both peppers and tomatoes.

For me as well.  I've got more pods than I have ever seen this year and my tomatoes are huge.  I'm about as far south in Ontario as you can go without crossing the border though.

charlesquik said:
Well as you can see here the global warming hit everywhere except quebec. Im out of here jeeez!

I was in the blue area too.  We had 5 straight weeks in Jan/Feb where the temperature did not go above zero.  Then June was the wettest on record with over 3x the usual amount of rain.  The plants made it through just fine though and didn't show any signs of overwatering, even though they were drenched.  I didn't have to water the plants all month, which was nice.  I think it helped to keep the aphids under control too.

Back