• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Isolating Plants

From the seeds I paid for this season I'd like to ensure they do not mix/cross with my others but only have a regular sized yard. I'd like to grow them pure and hopefully gets seeds for next year. I'm always hearing that peppers self pollinate so can I simply put some distance between or do they require some netting to prevent potential bees etc from pollinating same ?

Chillies are self-pollinating, so what you should mostly worry about is the insects, if you take care of them, then the probability of cross-pollinating is quite low unless you grow two different kinds of chillies literally next to each other. If you want to have good seeds, pick a part of a plant with most flowers that are not open yet, cover it with some plastic bag and shake it from time to time once flowers open to ensure they get self-pollinated. Trying to isolate a whole plant for the whole time when it flowers and fruits is usually more costly on time and effort then the value it brings, unless you plan to sell the seeds.

So timing is everything ? If I pick a section of flower concentration bag and shake, how would I know that pollination has not already occurred ?

So timing is everything ? If I pick a section of flower concentration bag and shake, how would I know that pollination has not already occurred ?
Bag 'em before the buds fully open into flowers.

I think that's the gel cap theory, too. Isolate them before they're fully open to be certain that nothing unwanted gets in.

The gel caps work, bagging the branch is also pretty popular. Do a search for isolating peppers in the grow area and there are a dozen or so topics that can help ya out. Most are with pictures.

[sup]I'm not handy at sowing fabric, nor do I like the small tulle bags available. Go to a big box store like Home Depot or Lowes or whatever you have in Toronto, go to the paint department and look for paint strainer bags. In the US they come in 1 gallon and 5 gallon sizes, I'm sure you'll find a metric equivalent. I like these becuase you can bag a whole branch or more at one time.[/sup]

Back