• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Isolation Chamber

I made this [obviously] for canna males, but the same idea can be used indoor and outdoor if the goal is to isolate one whole plant. If you have a small plant growing indoors/outdoors that you want to make sure is not pollinated by another, this idea or your own variation of may help. (I strongly recommend keeping good air flow especially outdoors or you will get a lot of heat/mold issues)

There can be many applications, so I am just relaying the idea and presenting my version, my "Male Isolation Box 1.0"

There is an adjustable 120v computer fan (from Amazon) under 2 pollen filtering house-furnace filters (cut to desired size) to move the air up and out. The funnel is for watering. The gloves were my addition to the evolution of the iso chamber from the canna forums. Not necessary, but would prevent unneeded openings in cases of emergency.

**** not in any way as cheap as filter bags, but definitely more fun to make!

IMG_1487_zpsgskwan4d.jpg

That must be a Japanese Maple in there...............

I have no problem isolating plants in 4 1/2 in. pots indoors.

No fans or bugs to get past the self polinating of Pepper buds.
I can see male and female plants needing isolation like that,but not self pollinating plants.
It takes a lot to get stray Pollen from one bud to another past the buds own pollen as far as my experiences go with Peppers.
YES I get only a few pods per plant,but I don't sell seeds.Once a few pods form the plant goes outside.

Also Peppers have 1 bud,not a setup like some other plants,ones with (hopefully) Female buds that are a couple feet long and can collect a lot of stray pollen in the air.
Peppers have male and female parts all in 1 bud.

That box looks like an isolation chamber used for starting mushroom spores on Agar or rice...

Use a Hepa filter on intake and exhaust.

Use Hepa filters on Bell jars instead of the metal inserts.

AH ,just something I read about on the net. years ago...  :)

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it. But I am [very] familiar with how peppers pollinate/propagate. This is not designed for peppers, but I remember people asking in previous posts for ways to isolate just one plant so they are 100% certain (not 90%) the pepper is of the same genetics.

Just tryin to help out :)

And this way, for the indoor-only growers, they can isolate under the same light if, like me, the electricity bill dictates only one light, LOL (and they grow different varieties under that same light... and care about pure genetics for one goal or another - everyone is different)

I'm not trying to give you grief.

Just posting what I do.

So far,everything I've grown indoors,that was from pure seed has put out pure plants for me, until they go outside to the bees etc.

I was just posting,in case others didn't know,it's a LOT easier to isolate a pepper bud than a lot of other stuff...
Easier to get crosses from a plant that is either male or female to a certain extent,naturally.

With peppers,IF you want to be 100% sure you have to use 2 buds,strip both of either their male or female parts then pollinate the female parts.
Also it can make a difference if you are creating a hybrid if you use bud A for pollen or Bud B.
I think with Hybrids,they use a stripped bud of male and female on each plant so they can see what the different results grow as far as what the pod grew from either plants female bud produced.

Only reason I posted as such was because I think some people might think that form of isolation IS needed for peppers.

smokemaster said:
I'm not trying to give you grief.

Just posting what I do.

Only reason I posted as such was because I think some people might think that form of isolation IS needed for peppers.

Ah, all good, and I do thank you for the input. You are right, I can see where someone might think this was primarily for peppers. I was just hanging out on my lunch and thought about people asking about isolation and it just clicked, so I posted it :)

Any info helps out.
Lots of grow stuff evolved for the home growers over the years DUE MOSTLY from a lot of Closet gardens etc.

I think a lot of stuff has come from backyard gardeners and such.
We wanted our gardens to grow,we aren't dependant on grants or whatever to pay our way.

When I first started playing with LEDS,a few years ago.
I came into some free $,spent it on LEDS.
Probably wouldn't have if I had actually had to use my EARNED $.

I kept getting the same stuff repeated by the so called experts about tossing my $ down a well and anything less than a 3 Watt LED was garbage.Especially since I got them from Hong Kong/China.

Only ones that have fried are my fault - I overdrove them.

Keep your info coming.

If nothing else,it gives people new ideas to play with.

I agree,a lot of times the journey is better than being at the destination- "**** not in any way as cheap as filter bags, but definitely more fun to make!".
MORE FUN TO MAKE!

Just like me and my LEDs...

Back