• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

It's it necessary to keep peppers down with a weight?

I have one ferment going and things are looking promising. My problem with kahm yeast has been resolved and there is plenty of bubbling, but I am curious if it's necessary to keep pushing the pepper mash back down into the liquid or if it will eventually sink again and start the process over?

Ingredients, cut size, brine salt levels, ambient temps - its a whole lotta variable factors at play with ferments.  I tend to blend all my ferment mashes into tiny bits, and as such I find that a 'cap' of some sort is helpful keeping things submerged in the brine.  I will tell you that since I've been using cabbage leave 'caps' I've not had a single kham yeast incident.  Ferments will rise and fall with mostly complete disregard to what you 'think' they should be doing.  It's important to remember that we're dealing with ancient preservation techniques that most were perfectly happy with 'letting happen' than we seem to be at present.  Depends on what you're fermenting...

Your ferment is going, kham seems to be going away.  Let that sucker ride for a bit and then process.  Post resultant pics.  Reap epic internet rewards.  Link friends to your internet masterpiece and front requisite street cred.  Purchase early 50's street rods and roach em into respectable 1/4 times.  Once achieved, you are officially a fast car drivin, one love hot sauce makin certified badass.  Post resultant pics.

:)

SmokenFire said:
Ingredients, cut size, brine salt levels, ambient temps - its a whole lotta variable factors at play with ferments.  I tend to blend all my ferment mashes into tiny bits, and as such I find that a 'cap' of some sort is helpful keeping things submerged in the brine.  I will tell you that since I've been using cabbage leave 'caps' I've not had a single kham yeast incident.  Ferments will rise and fall with mostly complete disregard to what you 'think' they should be doing.  It's important to remember that we're dealing with ancient preservation techniques that most were perfectly happy with 'letting happen' than we seem to be at present.  Depends on what you're fermenting...

Your ferment is going, kham seems to be going away.  Let that sucker ride for a bit and then process.  Post resultant pics.  Reap epic internet rewards.  Link friends to your internet masterpiece and front requisite street cred.  Purchase early 50's street rods and roach em into respectable 1/4 times.  Once achieved, you are officially a fast car drivin, one love hot sauce makin certified badass.  Post resultant pics.

:)

Awesome, at least I know I am doing something right then. Looks like I will have to open this up one more time to add more cabbage leaves, the one big one I stuffed in the jar the other day doesn't seem to be holding up well.
And here's a pic of the jar! A combo of Annuums (De Arbol and Corno di Toro) and Baccatums (Tepin x Lemon Drop and PI441560)
sehlqgw.jpg

Thanks smokenfire! I ended up opening it and adding more cabbage leaves to really keep the peppers submerged and things have been going very well.

Quick question though, should I at some point take the cabbage leaves out or replace them?

filmost said:
Thanks smokenfire! I ended up opening it and adding more cabbage leaves to really keep the peppers submerged and things have been going very well.

Quick question though, should I at some point take the cabbage leaves out or replace them?

No problem Filmost.  I'm glad my initial drunken rambling can be of use :)  The cabbage leave caps I've used on ferments stay on top pushing the mash under the brine until the ferment is done.  Then I'll remove them and process the mash as intended.  The leftover cabbage leaves get put into the compost pile. 

SmokenFire said:

No problem Filmost.  I'm glad my initial drunken rambling can be of use :)  The cabbage leave caps I've used on ferments stay on top pushing the mash under the brine until the ferment is done.  Then I'll remove them and process the mash as intended.  The leftover cabbage leaves get put into the compost pile. 

Sweet, I will keep it all in as is then! Thanks for the solid advice smokenfire, the ferment has been going strong ever since i added the cabbage leaves to keep everything down, as evidenced by the inner chamber of the airlock not sinking down. This is going to be awesome!

Back