• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

It's too damn HOT for a new pepper Glog!

Because I live in a HOT climate!  Temps in the upper 90's and 100's for most of the year, and a few sudden drops to the 40's for a few days scattered in.  And wind is a constant! It's tough to grow sensitive plants here, but I've never backed down from a challenge!  I should have sown 2 months ago, but life was busy.  I had 4 red rocotos started, but one day they were all dead for some reason  :mope:   Anyway, here's to a new growing season!!

Last year was great, tons of peppers were turned into powders and mashes to last me until next winter.  This year I'm trying new peppers that I haven't grown before.  

Red Rocoto
Aribibi Guisano
2 house strains from my buddy, "Feltmann Smooth" and "Feltmann Wrinkled"
Bubblegum Pumpkin

The rocotos will be indoors most of the year, I just want to see if I can actually grow one.  I'm interested in the Aribibi and I've never grown a bubblegum variety before. 

The ones from my buddy are a crapshoot to see what they'll be like.  He's been growing for 10 years after I gave him a variety of seeds. Every year since he's kept seeds from his favorite plants, or plant and grows them the next year. Of course he says that he can't figure out why they're always different every year :rofl:  I was at his house and was really impressed by 2, so I kept the seeds. They were red, super hot, and fruity.  The only difference was the appearance, one was smooth and the other was wrinkled. I named them for him, Feltmann the Felt-nator!! 

Seeds were put in water yesterday evening, sown into Solo cups this evening.

We are underway!
20190107_195453.jpg

"Completely unrelated, but check out these tomatoes! The seeds sprouted inside!"

That is pretty amazing, since tomatoes have an
enzyme that prevents the seeds from sprouting
in the juicy interior.  Going to plant some of those?

On man, the new growth on the golden ghost is
awesome.  You don't want to grow it out yourself?  
Seems like a willing candidate for overwintering!

Bad update:  I'm starting all over from scratch....

My little plants grew some leaves, then stopped.  Too cold one night maybe?  They haven't grown a milimeter in weeks, I brought them inside a week ago.  They all turned to the light, but didn't grow.  

Time is getting away from me here, I'm soaking seeds right now.  

Feltmann "Smooth" x3
Feltmann "Wrinkled" x3
Red Rocoto x4
Bubblegum Pumpkin x3
Brazillian Starfish x3

I was hoping for a huge success earlier, now I'm just hoping for any success.  Summer is brutal for little plants here.

Just could not like that post, buddy!

Sorry to hear your grow went sideways, Rob.
But, hey, good on ya for starting over!

Update:

Attachments

• 20190728_115700.jpg
    20190728_115700.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190728_115719.jpg
    20190728_115719.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190728_115727.jpg
    20190728_115727.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190728_115745.jpg
    20190728_115745.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190728_115818.jpg
    20190728_115818.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 80
I don't know why it only posted the pics?
Anyway, I have it going after a late, later, and very very late start to my season.  Ended up with 2 Feltmann "smooth", 2 "wrinkled", 1 Bubblegum Pumpkin, and 1 Brazilian Starfish.  All plants are about a foot shorter than my plants were last year at this time, but hopefully the big 25 gallon pots will even things out by September-October.  I also have 2 rocotos that are still alive.  One is outside in the heat and gets 3 hours of direct sun in the evening, the indoor one is air conditioning set at 72 and gets indirect light all day. The outdoor one hasn't grown much since it got hot, but it's always flowering. The indoor one is slowly growing, but no flowers so far.

Hoping to get a couple rocotos in 2019, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  My other ones should start pumping out pods in September.  

Here's my plants last year on the same day:
20180728_143442.jpg

Back