• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding i've been hybridized!

didn't think i would ever run across this but alas, it has happened to me.
(i am not looking for pepper identification - this is just a page from the burning colon's life lessons learned book)

so last year, i was visiting one of those organic health food stores and to my surprise they had hot cherry bomb peppers. nice round, red, juicy peppers...... what a score for me i said to myself. so, i bought some of those nice round, red, juicy peppers and deseeded them and enjoyed the pods with all sorts of various food items. did i mention, nice round, red, juicy pods?

after the seeds had dried, a few days later, i thought i would test viability of the seeds. sure enough they germinated. so now the plants are mature, flowering and podding.................. but................... not at all what i was expecting! long thin pods! (the pods do have cool ridges running along the pod - so they look nothing like cayenne).

immediately, i was on google searching about hot cherry bomb peppers and found a few that had a description of "hot cherry bomb F1". well, now to just wait it out and see what becomes of my "nice _____, red, juicy peppers".

good growing to all and hope all get few surprises.

P1000405.jpg

what surprises me is that the can get a cherry bomb from crossing something that shape with anything...That must be one convoluted breeding line.

I was reading how the large agribiz co's developed lines of self-sterile vegetable plants that must be cross pollinated to bear fruit...Not sure if that applies to peppers but it would suck for seed savers.

I'm guessing the cherry bomb crossed with something like a cayenne (to result in the seeds from the pods bought last year). Burning Colon do you recall what other peppers that store was selling at the time? Might've been selling another variety from the same farmer/source and that's what it crossed with.

Hopefully they are tasty once ripe. I've got a couple mystery hybrids on the go and they are some of my favorites that I've grown so far.

I was reading how the large agribiz co's developed lines of self-sterile vegetable plants that must be cross pollinated to bear fruit...Not sure if that applies to peppers but it would suck for seed savers.
Yes, this is where seedless watermelons come from.

I've seen a pepper that looks silmilar to that but can't quite place it. Long with the ridges. Not exactly, but similar. I'll look and see if I can find it.

They look great! did you plan more than 1? if you have more than 1 plant from those seeds, did the other plants also produce the same pods?

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]They look like Okra!!!!! [/background]

IT'S NOT OKRA! :rofl:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]what surprises me is that the can get a cherry bomb from crossing something that shape with anything...That must be one convoluted breeding line.[/background]
someone far smarter than me put this baby together.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I'm guessing the cherry bomb crossed with something like a cayenne (to result in the seeds from the pods bought last year). Burning Colon do you recall what other peppers that store was selling at the time? Might've been selling another variety from the same farmer/source and that's what it crossed with. [/background]

like i mentioned the current pods are nothing like cayenne. i have one of those growing. i have one of those memories that remembers everything for years, except went put on the spot, then i forget everything. yes, they only had jalapeno. i am guessing this is a one off supplier but thank you for pointing that out, i will try to go to their website and see if i can post a question and find the supplier. strictly for interest sake, redtail would gladly send me some of his spectacular hot cherry pepper seed if i asked nicely. but i believe these were described as hot giant cherry bomb.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I've seen a pepper that looks silmilar to that but can't quite place it. Long with the ridges. Not exactly, but similar. I'll look and see if I can find it. [/background]
me too, the first thing i started to do was check the database, at first i thought anaheim as they have large pockets or ridges(yes the first thing i thought about was okra when i saw them) but since i have never grown anaheim i can't say. but then i thought, if this is the result of an F1, it has to be a cherry blended with something else....... what could that something else be, or could this too contain just enough genes to make it unique, not quite mother and not quite father. time will tell..... then i will post a pepper id.

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]They look great! did you plan more than 1? if you have more than 1 plant from those seeds, did the other plants also produce the same pods? [/background]
yes, infact the picture you are looking at is actually 2 separate plants in the same container, both with only 1 pod each and there is a large separate container plant just starting to produce fruit but i can't tell yet if they will turn out long or the rounded version.

thank you all who posed questions and comments, hopefully i have answered all who asked questions and i made sense, i am fighting a little problem right now, i just had a piece of a dorset naga and my eyes are watering, my nose is dripping and the "back of me throat.....".

technically, offspring of this pepper should produce the same pepper that you see, back to one of the parent variety which this appears to be. i have 3 plants, if the 3rd plant produced large round pods, then, if i seeded their offspring, i may get several variations of long peppers and round peppers. if i then, only grew infants of only the round peppers for another 2 or so growing seasons and again saved only the round pods, i perhaps would then have an original round pepper that would be close to being stable and would perhaps be an new strain. problem is i would have to remember that is what i was trying to achieve.

Ive got some Aji pods that were care packaged to me that have a similar look. I am not sure if your hot cherrys can cross with ajis, if they can though, that is what my guess would be.

My Aji plant from Aji Joe (exact type unknown to me) looks pretty much identical to that plant as do the pods. Any chance you mixed up your seeds?

Back