• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I've got a dilema

I've just got bit by the growing chili bug. I've got jalapeno and cayenne growing and fruiting now, but I bought those as seedlings from lowe's. My question is I found some seeds on ebay....Bhut Jolokia, 7 Pot, Fatalii, Devil's Tongue, Red Scotch Bonnet, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, to be specific. I live in Alabama and I know if I start the seeds now, they more than likely wouldn't have time to fruit this season, but I dont have a problem with bringing them in for the winter. But should I order the seeds and start them when I get them, or should I just order them and wait to start them till next season?

Personally, I wouldn't go through ebay for your seeds. I've already had problems ordering plants on ebay, and especially with the less common varieties many times what you buy isn't what you get.

More seasoned growers can point you towards more reputable dealers. I'm learning the ins and outs of this process myself.

As for whether or not to start the seeds now, it's really up to you. You already know the situation, but at least your growing season is a bit longer than some so you might get something out of it. It can be difficult to get plants to produce inside if you go that route... unless you have a very sunny window or a strong grow light.

Read around on here about Ebay seeds.... There is a thread in growing hot peppers forum at top that has a list of reputable seeds suppliers.

Happy growing.

Ok, I'll pick one of the suppliers from the thread on here, but still...should I start them now or just wait till next season?

Ok, I'll pick one of the suppliers from the thread on here, but still...should I start them now or just wait till next season?

I would advise you to start next season. There is a couple vendors floating around with live superhots, but most require a minimum order. Also at the end of the season there should be a plethora of live pods for sale that will help satisfy the urge as well.

Goto chileplants.com and order from them. They sell nice sized plants of all those varieties. I used them last year when I got the chile bug late last season (Mid may) and the shipping and plants were fantastic. They also have a blow out sale mid-late May. Good luck!

I guess it depends on choice really. The ones you listed are pretty slow germinating..but you live in a long season region so you might still be ok. For the price of seed..worth a shot. Worst case just do as you said and over winter. But it all starts with good soil and good seed :)

Good luck

Goto chileplants.com and order from them. They sell nice sized plants of all those varieties. I used them last year when I got the chile bug late last season (Mid may) and the shipping and plants were fantastic. They also have a blow out sale mid-late May. Good luck!

Good idea!

Haha, I didn't need to know that. I'm already being mocked for my modest 20 plants I have growing right now. Must... resist...

I'll be vague and say whatever works for you! :)
I think the overwhelming opinion on here is Promix. I have used that but have also used some peat based stuff that is made here in Ohio. I have also used Miracle Grow Moisture control this year with good results. Lots and lots of soils out there...

Back