• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

I've lost my spicy sense!

I've always liked spicy food but I had a siezure after coming off a certain medication & now I can barely taste spice. It sucks - I have to put ghost peppers on my food just to taste any heat & it's still pretty mild. Has anyone had an experience close to this?

Rich Mann said:
Has anyone had an experience close to this?

Sorry-Thankfully, no.....
JfgE6Ce.gif

Rich Mann said:
I've always liked spicy food but I had a siezure after coming off a certain medication & now I can barely taste spice. It sucks - I have to put ghost peppers on my food just to taste any heat & it's still pretty mild. Has anyone had an experience close to this?
It sounds like something to do with the trigeminal nerve. Do you have reduced sense if minty things as well?

I lost sense of taste in the right side of my mouth along with getting Bell's palsy from a bout of shingles just before Christmas.

The taste issue has resolved itself,and the Bell's is about 98% resolved but I still occasionally get some PHN pain from the nerve damage the shingles caused.

Vitamin B12 has helped quite a lot with my recovery . It has been shown to support nerve health and healing.

I stopped taking it for a couple weeks a month back and random tingling, numbness and some low level pain started coming back.

I increased to a high of Dose once a day and it has mostly be vanished again.

I would talk to a doc about if it might be beneficial to what seems like some kind if nerve damage.

Back in February I apparently had a really bad case of the flu. I was kind of out of it for several days. During that time I was amazed that food ONLY tasted palatable to me if I doused it in ghost pepper sauce. Normally I look hot food, but I try to moderate, as a general rule. For several weeks I used a whole lot of ghost pepper hot sauce. My ability to really sense heat seems to have gradually returned.

Ashen said:
It sounds like something to do with the trigeminal nerve. Do you have reduced sense if minty things as well?

I lost sense of taste in the right side of my mouth along with getting Bell's palsy from a bout of shingles just before Christmas.

The taste issue has resolved itself,and the Bell's is about 98% resolved but I still occasionally get some PHN pain from the nerve damage the shingles caused.

Vitamin B12 has helped quite a lot with my recovery . It has been shown to support nerve health and healing.

I stopped taking it for a couple weeks a month back and random tingling, numbness and some low level pain started coming back.

I increased to a high of Dose once a day and it has mostly be vanished again.

I would talk to a doc about if it might be beneficial to what seems like some kind if nerve damage.

I've had Bell's twice, first time killed the eyesight on my right side. Don't remember any loss of taste. My first bout came from having a 3000 psi airless paint line sliced right in front of my face, shooting into the same right eyesocket. 

Second time was viral, but still don't remember a loss of taste or olfactory. I did experience great loss of saliva on one side of my mouth, kept me out of public for some weeks....Aqualung Syndrome, don't cha know.... :shocked:

My dad lost his sense of taste and smell when he was around 50. I forget the medical explanation, but he did suffer by it...

stettoman said:

I've had Bell's twice, first time killed the eyesight on my right side. Don't remember any loss of taste. My first bout came from having a 3000 psi airless paint line sliced right in front of my face, shooting into the same right eyesocket. 

Second time was viral, but still don't remember a loss of taste or olfactory. I did experience great loss of saliva on one side of my mouth, kept me out of public for some weeks....Aqualung Syndrome, don't cha know.... :shocked:

My dad lost his sense of taste and smell when he was around 50. I forget the medical explanation, but he did suffer by it...

I had to renew my gun license while I had the right side of my face paralyzed by Bell's.

I will look like stroke victim for the next 5 years on this new one.

I'm definitely more scared of catching shingles now. Glad your doing better Ashen.

Isn't one of the covid 19 symptoms loss of taste?

I didn't realize just how big a deal shingles can be , especially if it is on your face or head.

It was inside my ear, inside my sinuses, on tongue even. It can damage your hearing and even cause blindness if it gets inside your eyeball.

And yes you read that right. "Inside Your freaking EYEBALL!"

Thankfully the outbreak cleared up in about a week and a half with antivirals, butnerve damage pain and bells palsy went on much longer.

It can take a hell of a long time to get your normal energy back as well.

I still tire much easier 5 months later but mostly back to normal.

Any one who is able to, should seriously look at the shingrix vaccine.

I know people who have had the shot that say it can wipe you out for a day or two after getting it, and some had flu like symptoms but I guarantee it is so much better than have shingles.

Walchit said:
I'm definitely more scared of catching shingles now. Glad your doing better Ashen.

Isn't one of the covid 19 symptoms loss of taste?
Yes it is but as I understand it for a different reason potentially.

I had damage to two different nerves the 7th facial cranial nerve and trigeminal nerve.

The loss of taste and palsy were related to the cranial nerve, the trigeminal was mostly just a lot of pain near my ear and down jawline alternating with numbness.

I was thinking the OP might have trigeminal problems because that relates to the trpv receptors responsible for detecting capsaicin.

Also the sensation of cold that minty things give you.

Possibly damaged trigeminal while clenching jaw during seizure.

Perhaps look at is as glass half full. You upped your tolerance and can put idiots to shame on YT.

macmex said:
Back in February I apparently had a really bad case of the flu. I was kind of out of it for several days. During that time I was amazed that food ONLY tasted palatable to me if I doused it in ghost pepper sauce. Normally I look hot food, but I try to moderate, as a general rule. For several weeks I used a whole lot of ghost pepper hot sauce. My ability to really sense heat seems to have gradually returned.

So, the receptors in the mouth and the ones down below (exiting end) are not connected (well, they are, but at a higher latitude. .

If I was putting copious amounts of ghost pepper sauce in heightened oral perception quantities on things, the  neither regions would tell me WWWHHHOOOOAAAWWWW!  
So, (not to be vulgar, but, you know, in the sake of science), same outcome?

Back