• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Jackpot, bought dried peppers.

Was in Lethbridge yesterday "Driving miss Daisy" and stopped by a store "International Foods" and turned out to be an Asian store with lots of Organic stuff too. They had a bunch of dried peppers at a very good price so had to stock up, will keep my busy for a while, make some powders first I think :)

P2248793_DriedPeppers-1500_zpsg9lcfpc6.jpg

tried the "Red Cayenne" and found them hot, much hotter the the powder stuff I used to get, more like I remember decades ago. Grabbed some seeds and see if I can grow them. Their fatter then Ive grown in the past, they were thin.
Tried looking on line for the variety but no luck so far, unless its mislabeled, anybody have ideas :)

_2265438_RedCayeene-1000_zps2tx7otwi.jpg

_2265441_RedCayeene-1000_zpsvmnhmirr.jpg

For me it looks more like an "Anuum" pepper with the typical "seedball".
How is the smell, heat and taste? Maybe you wont find out what pepper excatly it is, but you can easily find out if it is "chinense", "anuum" or "baccatum" by the taste.

pretty sure it's the Facing Heaven Pepper, lucky find!

every time i go into T&T Supermarket or other ethnic store, i always check for the FHP, but never had any luck guess i should have looked for cayenne. i read somewhere that it was the original pepper used in kimchi but i wouldn't know. if you grow them out and the pod faces up, most likely what it is, fresh is suppose to have a nice sweet flesh with some heat.

you can also find dundicutt, usually labelled as dried round chili and sannam, labelled as dried long hot red chili. the dried dundicutt takes on a very nutty flavour and the dried sannam is good for replacing the powder you by as chili powder. both are really boring when consumed fresh.

Those "mulato's" (whatever they are) I suspect are actually Pasilla's which are dried Poblanos.

Make Molé!!!!

The pod in question looks like chilhuacle rojo to me

dragonsfire said:
tried the "Red Cayenne" and found them hot, much hotter the the powder stuff I used to get, more like I remember decades ago. Grabbed some seeds and see if I can grow them. Their fatter then Ive grown in the past, they were thin.
Tried looking on line for the variety but no luck so far, unless its mislabeled, anybody have ideas :)

_2265438_RedCayeene-1000_zps2tx7otwi.jpg

_2265441_RedCayeene-1000_zpsvmnhmirr.jpg

Back