• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeno Color?

Help! Everywhere I see that jalapenos are ripe/mature when RED. But I also see everywhere that a good jalapeno is GREEN. Mine are green right now, should I pick tem or wait til red?

Thanks

If you have the patience, wait for the red, I personally think the red have a sweeter flavour. You should be aware that some jalapenos aren't able to turn red, so you may wait for no reason; but waiting won't hurt the pepper. Although the Peppermaster says that the capsacicin may start to break down if you wait too long.

Also, don't toss out those woody veiny looking jalapenos; they may not look pretty, but, they have the best heat!

T

Hey Tina, how you been??
I believe the term you are talking about is called "corking"
and have also heard they are more desirable to the Mexican culture. I bought some a few weeks ago the a farmers stand and did chose some corked ones, but had to buy these 4 to 5 in. ones that were so pretty and had them stuffed and on the grill in no time,lol.

asjt3,
I picked some green ones yesterday, I have a hard time waiting for fresh picked chiles.
As far as seeds are concerned, they should be good after proper drying, the only concerns would be if they are a hybrid or cross pollinated with other plants. there are more knowledgable growers here that could step up and correct me though.

Marv

If you want to make poppers or salsa verde, pick them green.

If you are making chipotle or drying them to make powder, wait til they are red.

I let most of mine turn red before I pick em. I think the heat mellows a bit but you get a wonderful sweet flavor you can't get with store bought green ones.

Back