• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeño crosses

What types of jalapeño crosses are out there?

Is it possible to cross a jalepeno with a ghost or scorp?

Yes its possible.

Don't know of anyone working on developing the Jalapeno. Though a Google search would reveal web of hairs jalabanero, among others.

Every generation of Jalabanero I've grown comes out different.
I've grown several generations in isolation.
Lattest couple generations put out red and black pods...
Original seeds were from Web of Hair years ago.

Hot Pooper sent me a great Nagapeno to test 2 years ago. Looked just like a jalapeno but had a strong bhut flavor to it. Heat was more than a jalapeno but not superhot. I think he said the grow outs did not produce similar results. I remember telling him at the time that I would not want a jalapeno that tastes like a bhut ... at least not for the things i use jalapenos for. Now that I think about it, it would be fun to find some uses for it.

Found the link to the Nagapeno:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/17975-beaglestorm-vs-the-avalance-of-chiles-a-bunch-of-written-reviews/page__hl__beaglestorm

LOL,of coarse it's a hybrid...Jalapeno X Habanero...

I mostly grow isolated stuff in 4 1/2 in. pots indoors.
I never get more than a few pods at a time.
Never grew it to a full sized plant in a bigger pot.
Isn't worth the space in my small grow area.
Might grow the next generations outside though since they look like Pimemt Elisa the last 2 growouts.
I did put 1 plant F4 I thinki it is,outside but it isn't doing anything yet.
Doesn't like the Southern exposure.

I think I have a Tepin x Jalapeno going right now. Doesn't have much in the way of Jalapeno flavor though, more like a slightly larger, thicker pequin, since the heat is similar.

Over several seasons I've had a few annuum cross with jalapenos (random chance, I can get jalapeno seeds cheap enough that if a pure crop is important I'll just buy more seeds somewhere and not put any effort into isolating them from other plants) and never liked the result as much as either of the purebreds. Jalapeno is a distinct enough taste that crossing seems to just dilute that taste but at the same time it seems to add a touch of bitterness that may not be desirable.

The only batch of hot sauce I've ever thrown out was one I put (among other usual ingredients) some Kung Pao - Jalapeno crosses, though they were fine in chili or on a pizza, etc just not as good as adding both purebreds.

There is a Cherapeno out there.Cherry X Jalapeno.
Don't remember how stable it is...haven't grown it in a while.Maybe next year or this winter.

I have a Tepin X Jalapeno FX in the 6th year of growing it, pretty consistent now in shape and heat (very addictive) which is on the Tepin side but more flesh, Stems are very woody, thick and perrenial.

Be Well

What types of jalapeño crosses are out there?

Is it possible to cross a jalepeno with a ghost or scorp?

Dunno but If I was to I would cross it with a scorp or some trinidad with flavor first..

Sounds interesting.
What pod size?
Jalapeno or Tepin sized?
To me a Jalapeno sized Tepin tasting cross would be really cool.
F8 is considered stable for a new variety.
F6 is really darn close.
PM me for a seed trade if you want.

Will do bro...

Peace...

I have to revive this because I grew a hybrid jalapeno that I just harvested. I don't even remember where the seeds came from. They were labeled superhot jalapeno hybrid. They came out red and short and little bumps on the bottom. Same thickness around but only 1.5-2inch average. Inside it's twice as thick with veins and less actual seeds. They first taste like a jalapeno with no heat but a little sweeter for 10-15 seconds and then after it goes down it starts...

It seems to be the exact same burn as a naga morrich to me. From the back of the throat around to the sides and then to the tongue and ears and doesn't let up on the tongue burn. The burn takes 10 minutes to peak, and then drops off with quick short comebacks. It was so hot that I felt adrenaline running through my hands and got chills for half an hour. I had another tonight thinking maybe it was a fluke extremely hot one yesterday. I can feel where it sits in my stomach an hour later. My brother in law tried it too and he said he'd rather take a red savina. For a minute he was close to hurling.

I'm thinking it has to be crossed with a naga. It can't be a 7 or trinidad - the taste and and type burn would not indicate either of those.

Wow, I didn't see beaglestorms link in his post till now. That's it - the nagapeno. That description is exactly the same! It looks just like it, but mine have the stress lines. How they made it to me I don't know.

Back