• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeno flavor

So i'm growing some TAM jalapeno's and they're supposed to be pretty mild, to me at-least, this is not so.  I don't know if I have a mutant or something, but everyone I give one to says it's hotter than my chocolate habs.  And I don't know what the problem is, I want to move up the scale but if the bottom kicks my but how will I handle the middle?  And it tastes like grass, not very good.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Is this your crossed pepper?
No its just a regular purebred TAM.  I can't wrap my mind around why it's so hot.  The burn isn't as violent as a hab, but the burn feels like a needle or snake fangs won't let go of your tongue. 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Is this your crossed pepper?
I'm still not sure if that cross worked if you're wondering, the true leaves are just popping out and they kinda look chinense, they're also kinda tall.  I don't know if that's hybrid vigor or it being leggy or maybe that's how tall jalapeno seedlings are I don't remember.

Jalapeño heat can vary a lot. Peppers on the same plant may have two very different heat levels. There are a lot of factors that cause the fluctuations in heat. 
If your jalapeños taste like grass then you should leave them on to ripen more.

charlie5heen said:
So i'm growing some TAM jalapeno's and they're supposed to be pretty mild, to me at-least, this is not so.  I don't know if I have a mutant or something, but everyone I give one to says it's hotter than my chocolate habs.  And I don't know what the problem is, I want to move up the scale but if the bottom kicks my but how will I handle the middle?  And it tastes like grass, not very good.
Jalapenos eaten while green will have a green or grassy taste. It is actually one of the taste I enjoy from jalapenos. But getting back to heat. Jalapenos are supposed to be around 5000 on the scoville scale. dont let that fool you one bit. I have grown jalapenos that just about make you want to cry. Blistering hot.

This summer our Biker Billy jalapeños were even too hot for many of my friends. The heat must be due to our lack of enough water. Like CAPCOM said, stressed jalapeños can be blistering hot!

I have no idea of the legitimacy of this but I heard that "one in 15 jalapenos will be significantly hotter than the rest", maybe others could confirm?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I love surprises , so I love jalapenos.
Never know what will be next.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

festering said:
I have no idea of the legitimacy of this but I heard that "one in 15 jalapenos will be significantly hotter than the rest", maybe others could confirm?
Never heard that about Jalapeños before. With Padrons, this occurs because of how early they're picked but, considering the small difference between red and green Jalapeños, I doubt that would explain it here.
I wouldn't say no to a new strain of super Chipotle though, smoked Ghost is just too slow and gradual.

festering said:

A long time ago I bought a few Jals to slice for tacos and we noticed that there was a significant increase in burn factor. We separated the slices and tried a slice, normal heat, then another and another until we hit the one which was much hotter. I have never experienced it again but believe the above true except the frequency of it happening.

All the way up until we started getting much cooler nights all my Early jalapenos were really hot for a jalapeno. The last 2 i picked were pretty much typical of a jalapeno. Some of these nights have gotten into the mid 40Fs with many in the 50Fs.

The funny part is my mystery Anaheim has done just the opposite. They have more heat now and better overall flavor too. Both are in the same small patch of ground and receive the same amount of water/sunlight.

In all the years ive grown jalapenos i can only remember one that was freakishly hot and it was a scorcher. I chopped up one nice sized pod and put it on top of a steak that was nearly done on the grill. It was not Hab hot but it was well above a serrano or even a cayenne.

Back