• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum JALAPENO NUMEX PINATA

Very pretty !! A potted specimen, in fruit -- with all colors represented on the plant -- would look great as a dining table ornament, in place of a flower-filled vase, i think.

I grew these last year. Yes, they had the color transition that you describe. The pods were small for a Jalapeno. Flavor was a bit sweet and pretty mild even for a Jalapeno. So no, I don't think mine were anywhere near 45k scoville. The plant was not very productive, but I only had the one plant so I can't really say if that is normal for the variety or if I just had a weak plant. I really doubt that I would grow the NuMex Pinata again. I grew it mainly because I like the look of multicolored pods on plants. But my Chinese 5 Color had much more vibrant colors, was more productive, and the pods were hotter to boot. I would probably choose something like that over the NuMex Pinata if I wanted a multicolored annuum. The Pinata might be fine if you are looking to grow a milder annuum. The flavor was quite decent and the pods didn't have much punch. 

I grow them. As BlackFatalii noted, they are not very productive, and it is a low chlorophyll plant, so it looks a sickly yellow all the time and people think they aren't healthy. That is just normal for this plant. I think they taste like fairly mild jalapenos.

Thanks for the feedback I will skip trying to grow them. The multi-color and 45,000 scoville it what caught my eye reading about them.

Back