• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

jalapeno storage question

Wondering what to do w/ excess jalapenos as I can't eat them as fast as my 2 jalapeno plants are producing them. I was wondering if its possible just to place them on the counter to dry or are they too thick-walled of a pepper for that?

Wondering what to do w/ excess jalapenos as I can't eat them as fast as my 2 jalapeno plants are producing them. I was wondering if its possible just to place them on the counter to dry or are they too thick-walled of a pepper for that?

They will mold before they dry on the counter. Only *good* way to dry jalapenos is in a dehydrator. I've tried it in the oven and they just end up tasting bad. Other than that you can try making a sauce with them or something. Both red and green jalapenos make a nice milder sauce with some garlic and stuff but I don't have a recipe on hand unfortunately.

They will mold before they dry on the counter. Only *good* way to dry jalapenos is in a dehydrator. I've tried it in the oven and they just end up tasting bad. Other than that you can try making a sauce with them or something. Both red and green jalapenos make a nice milder sauce with some garlic and stuff but I don't have a recipe on hand unfortunately.
I'll give that a try. Maybe a vinegary, tomato-based sauce.

if you want to dry them, try cutting them in half and if you have a fan, that will help also. They should dry ok.

peppers also freeze well, but they will be mushy when defrosted. That's OK for cooking with, but not for salads, obviously-
Even better, chop/mince up the jalapenos, place it in flat ziploc freezer bags, and then you can break off little chunks of pre-diced jalapenos as you need it.

SL

I have found ripe jalapenos are good to dry naturally, have 2 dried ones in front of me actually, completely unintentional that was, but green, does not work at all.
Pickles, sauces, powders, salads, loads of uses for them. Make a paste and freeze it? You'll think of something :)

I've tried to smoke them, takes forever, but they're easy to pickle whole with carrots and onions, or sliced on their own in a vinegar bath.
But what I like to do is slice into rings and "dehydrate" them........works great in my 13 pep chili.

got some ingredients and plan on making some kind of sauce chock full of the buggers :)

if you want to dry them, try cutting them in half and if you have a fan, that will help also. They should dry ok.

peppers also freeze well, but they will be mushy when defrosted. That's OK for cooking with, but not for salads, obviously-
Even better, chop/mince up the jalapenos, place it in flat ziploc freezer bags, and then you can break off little chunks of pre-diced jalapenos as you need it.

SL

Decided to go your route and slice them lengthwise & let them dry like that.

i know this thread is a little old,but pickle them or cut all of them up and mix them in burger patties and freeze them .. thats what i do :hell:

Back