• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeno Variety

ajijoe said:
mildest i can think of is EARLY

hottest is BIKER BILLY

IN BETWEEN IS HARD TO SAY

thanks your friend Joe
There are so many milder that the Early, black, purple, giant and a few others I have grown come to mind. I have grown Biker Billy's that were only equal to my Early's. I am sure it is all about growing conditions for some.

I would have to agree, "Early" usually end up hotter than the others under my growing conditions, but like other jalapenos are inconsistent from fruit to fruit. I have also grown/liked Zapotec, M, TAM Vera Cruz, Mitla Hybrid, and Mucho Nacho Hybrid. I grew Jalafuego last year and wasn't that impressed heat/flavor wise, but disease resistance, size, and production were great!

Physics202 said:
I came across a white/yello jalapeno.  I bought some seeds and going to try it out this year.

https://www.buckeyepepper.com/jalapeno-jaloro?search=jalapeno

Anyone else tried these?

FYI:

Description: A hybridised Jalapeno variety. This is the first yellow jalapeno pepper developed, from the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. Fruit is a beautiful golden yellow before turning orange then red, making for a beautiful show on the compact plants. Peppers are just as hot as regular jalapenos. As a bonus, plants are resistant to six viruses that threaten peppers. 70 days.

I don't see how people can consider all the different Hybrids as Jalapenos.

I see Jalapenos as a Landrace variety depending on where it was from in Mexico.

Never had a hot early Jalapeno(BUT several seed Co. sell their own version,)
I don't care for Hybrids.
They lack taste and varrie in heat and productivity.

Grow your early or whatever hybrid out the 2nd year and the seeds usually grow pods similar to Anahiem peppers.

It's a BIG thing these days in different parts of Mexico that are/were known for superior Jalapenos are growing hybrids for $ and the landrace stuff is gone.
The Landrace stuff is being replaced by hybrids from Monsanto or whoever.

A lot of people will never have a clue as to what a real Jalapeno tastes like.
OR that REAL Jalapenos from different places had a taste and different heat,sweet/hot,hot green taste or whatever...

The Méjican cebollas are better and it's hard to appreciate until you eat them, They make a huge difference in salsa fresca. I credit it to the volcanic soil.

The small limes in foto are also better....more like a key lime in taste and much more juicy. Lots of limes come from Colima state.

I love photos of international markets containing real(local) fruits and veggies!

Hey Smokemaster, maybe I misunderstood your post, but were including "Early" as a hybrid? It is an OP. Or were you just saying you don't like them? I otherwise agree with your statements completely!

Not the hijack the thread, but I could really use a recommendation for a jalapeno or similar variety that:

1) tastes delicious (#1 priority)
2) isn't very spicy (Billy Biker is too spicy)
3) is a forgiving plant to grow
4) productive would be nice, but not essential

This is for my girlfriend to grow. We will use them in Mexican-inspired cooking, ie chilaquiles.

Thanks!!

SichuaneseFoodFan said:
Not the hijack the thread, but I could really use a recommendation for a jalapeno or similar variety that:

1) tastes delicious (#1 priority)
2) isn't very spicy (Billy Biker is too spicy)
3) is a forgiving plant to grow
4) productive would be nice, but not essential

This is for my girlfriend to grow. We will use them in Mexican-inspired cooking, ie chilaquiles.

Thanks!!

Tam jalapenos are the low heat version. I have a few growing this year for the wife and daughter.

silva83tj said:
Grew Rome jalapeños last season and man they packed some heat for a jalapeño! By far the hottest I've tasted
I heard about those a year ago and never got around to getting seeds they sound great what was the flavor like?

Overall flavor was good but wasnt as expected because the heat kind of overpowered at first, it just got me by surprise. I have about 10 Rome jalapeño seeds I can send you, shoot me your address and I will send you them

smokemaster said:
I don't see how people can consider all the different Hybrids as Jalapenos.

I see Jalapenos as a Landrace variety depending on where it was from in Mexico.

Never had a hot early Jalapeno(BUT several seed Co. sell their own version,)
I don't care for Hybrids.
They lack taste and varrie in heat and productivity.

Grow your early or whatever hybrid out the 2nd year and the seeds usually grow pods similar to Anahiem peppers.

It's a BIG thing these days in different parts of Mexico that are/were known for superior Jalapenos are growing hybrids for $ and the landrace stuff is gone.
The Landrace stuff is being replaced by hybrids from Monsanto or whoever.

A lot of people will never have a clue as to what a real Jalapeno tastes like.
OR that REAL Jalapenos from different places had a taste and different heat,sweet/hot,hot green taste or whatever...

That's why I am growing Jalapenos "Cracked" from Judy. http://pepperlover.com/index.php?pa...egory_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=21%C2 I went to the market a few weeks ago and got a jalapeno that was 6" long and one and a half inches wide. I was like this is no jalapeno! I don't know if I've ever had a true Jalapeno.

I just re read my post.

I was maybe too general in what I wrote.

I just see too many Jalapeno seeds for sale by a LOT of different seed companies that are advertised as Hybrids or don't really say what they are.
I think a Lot are hybrids that were stabilised to become a variety.
(They are stable hybrids in my opinion,not a LANDRACE variety but a commercially engineered variety.I guess it depends on your point of view AND what you want from the particular Jap. you grew.)

I personally don't waste time growing japs from seeds for eating them green ,every nursery etc. sells tons of jap plants for under 2bucks.

On the other hand,I only grow Japs. anymore for chipotle-ripe,smoked dry pods.

I find each seed vendor,grower or whatever uses whatever their supplier has.

An example is the no heat Japs.
Fooled you , Tajin are just 2 names for the same thing engeneered by different companies.
Sport is another variety that has several names as with giant,goliath jumbo etc.

My point was that the original japs are hard to find.
Most these days are hybrids or commercially produced seeds.

The seeds sold as Xzapotec seeds were really nice Japs(stock is from a mexican market originally).
Several other varieties a FEW seed vendors sell are from original Mexican street market stock and are pretty cool.

I grew up in Ca. and lived in AZ. a while.
Spent a lot of time across sampling what Mexico offered for eats and drink.Spent a lot of time also floating around fishing in their waters etc.
Nights in small towns sampling the local NON tourist wares.
You have never tasted Mexico until you spend time cruising around.

Hung out back in the 70's-mid 80's in different parts of Baja.
At first inland was OK,but soon it got risky.
Border towns were nasty,all you had to do was get past them a few miles and things were a lot different.

I used to check out the local street markets (here they would be called farmers markets)and small town shops.

Willard3's pic is what it was all about.

The butcher shops were iced down cuts of meat with chickens etc. hanging on hooks above the cold stuff.
Meat stores reeked of Lysol and dead chickens.

NEVER got bad meat,dead chicken just plain stinks!

Fish/seafood was in milk crates full of seawater ice from the boats (Puerto Penasco).
Shrimp for $3,00 a Kilo....
The great old days.  LOL

The drug wars between dope dealers screwed things up big time.
Won't go back anytime soon.
A real shame,I used to head to Sonoyta for a weekend in Puerto Penasco and come back a month or more latter.

I really like Mexico as it was back then.
Lots of GREAT times with the locals.
It's just not safe anymore.
A REAL shame!

Opps,Ya back to Jalapenos...

Back