Jalapenos Turning Black???

I just checked my peppers and noticed a black ring around the top of some of my japs.

This is my first time growing peppers, so I have no idea if this is normal or some type of problem. I have picked tons of green jalapenos already and am now waiting for many to ripen. This does not seem to be right as they ripen from green to red???

IMG_4024.jpg

Its perfectly normal. Its like a suntan for peppers protecting it from strong UV rays. Pods will ripen to red

the purpling and or blackening
and the little split open scored lines (corking)
are a good sign that them are good and hot
most of the jalapeños that exhibit those conditions are the ones 'we' prefer :crazy:
not sure if it is result of them being good and hot or just often them ones are

good growing

I personally don't believe the purple anthocyanin pigment or corking really have much to do with the heat of a jalapeno(or others). I've grown heatless jalapenos that went purple and had corking and hot ones that did neither

As noted, normal to get some black / purple, sometimes it will stripe the sides. Not always.

As far as pickling, I've always done it while dark green. If too light, they'll be bitter. I've never been much of a fan of corking, the skins get a little tougher. Some say the blush stage going from green to red is taste nirvana.
garden%25252081411%252520016.jpg

Back