• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Jamaican Differences

IS THERE a difference between Jamaican Yellow and jamaican scotch bonnets?? or are they the same?

the arborateum had them as jamaican yellow and i planted jamaican scotch bonnet seeds

as some one who has focused on yellow scotch bonnet this year, let me weigh in - as i was as deeply confused as all who were confused................ did that make sense?

i purchased foodrama & original yellow scotch bonnet from peppermania this year and they are doing quite nicely. but before purchasing, i saw the jamaican yellow, that look like a mushroom. on further investigation, it appears that the jamaican yellow is an annuum and not a chinense but still has some heat associated with it. so, they are 2 completely different species. once i knew the difference, i was able to focus on my preferred pepper - the yellow scotch bonnet variety - chinense.

but after rethinking things, chinense really are a challenge to grow in my environment and perhaps i should have complemented my grow with an annuum variety - since they are suppose to taste similar (only from what i have read).

since, i have found a local supplier of yellow scotch bonnet pods, that i am calling Basha Yellow Scotch bonnet. the plants are larger than peppermania's version but not as full. where peppermania plants are short and stocky, with plenty of low foliage, the bashas are taller with smaller leaves. i am guessing the bashas, though are yellow scotch bonnet, they are a manufactured hybrid for the masses. side by side comparison, the two look nothing alike and peppermania's are consistent with the two varieties that she sells.

so scoville wise.. what are their respective sc
as some one who has focused on yellow scotch bonnet this year, let me weigh in - as i was as deeply confused as all who were confused................ did that make sense?

i purchased foodrama & original yellow scotch bonnet from peppermania this year and they are doing quite nicely. but before purchasing, i saw the jamaican yellow, that look like a mushroom. on further investigation, it appears that the jamaican yellow is an annuum and not a chinense but still has some heat associated with it. so, they are 2 completely different species. once i knew the difference, i was able to focus on my preferred pepper - the yellow scotch bonnet variety - chinense.

but after rethinking things, chinense really are a challenge to grow in my environment and perhaps i should have complemented my grow with an annuum variety - since they are suppose to taste similar (only from what i have read).

since, i have found a local supplier of yellow scotch bonnet pods, that i am calling Basha Yellow Scotch bonnet. the plants are larger than peppermania's version but not as full. where peppermania plants are short and stocky, with plenty of low foliage, the bashas are taller with smaller leaves. i am guessing the bashas, though are yellow scotch bonnet, they are a manufactured hybrid for the masses. side by side comparison, the two look nothing alike and peppermania's are consistent with the two varieties that she sells.

so what are their respective scovilles

Some photos would go a long way to allowing people to comment on whether you have bought plants belonging to the Capsicum Annuum or Capsicum Chinense species. I haven't been able to identify the Jamaican Yellows from the Arborateum in your other thread.

Below are photos from reimer seeds "Jamaican scotch bonnets.

11051d12.jpg

dceb275f.jpg

16377573.jpg

The nex two are from the arborateum labeled Jamaican hot yellow

6faf7b06.jpg

e01eac08.jpg

thanks Harry, i got your PM, i forgot i even replied to this thread!

King's photo of reimer's jamaican scotch bonnet look very similar to my basha's yellow scotch bonnet plants. taller, smaller leaves and foliage clearly separated from branches.
i will try to take a picture of peppermania's bonnets to show the difference. i have 2 in soil and 2 in dwc. batteries are dead in my camera, so, i want to load up the wife's new camera as it has higher pixels and i also have to move a lot of plants around to stage them for a picture.

The above three look like Capsicum Annuum plants and would therefore not be Scotch Bonnets.

These two do not appear to be Scotch Bonnet plants either.

None of the plants in the photos appear to be Capsicum Chinense plants.

I appreciate the feedbacks guys.... the main purpose for this thread was to educate me on if there was a difference between jamaican yellow and JSB and i have been.

the 1st 3 photos marked as JSB from reimers i also assumed were not...JSB.... but the ones with the white labels marked JAMAICAN HOT YELLOW i am wondering if theres a chance they will still be JAMAICAN HOT YELLOWs...as is labeled... i got those 3 sets from arboratteum so i would assume that they are a more reliable source than REIMERS.. :D

thanks for all the feed back.. with that then i ask.. DOES ANYONE HAVE JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNET SEEDS?? haahhah

Jamaican yellows(annuum) are nice peppers but the flavor and heat are not at all like real Scotch bonnets(chinense)
Here is a thread that you may find useful
http://thehotpepper....ushroom +squash

would you then say that the 3 plants photod together can still be jamaican yellow?

Perhaps my coworker doesn't know. But she's scratching her head. " Never heard of Jamaican hot yellow.". Be interesting to see what I get.

They are listed on my website, or we can trade if you prefer. I can't find your trade list. What do you have?

I got one from the Fullerton Arboretum too, mostly because when I was there, there was slim pickings on the hot peppers and they advertised 100k-200k scovilles. I wasn't under the impression they were in any way related to scotch bonnets though. It will be interesting to see if your "Jamaican Scotch Bonnets" turn out to be the same thing.

What other plants did you get.

Just 2 t scorps, a bhut, a caribbean red, and the jamaican yellow. The day I went most of the stuff I wanted on the list either was gone or the ones they had looked terrible. I wanted a Fatali but they only had 2 and they were tiny little things and looked half way dead.

Back