• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Jamaican Jerk Dry Rub (wanted) NOT MARINADE

Title says it all. Anyone have a "go to" recipe for a Jerk dry rub? For wings, ribs, whatever. Even just to sprinkle on a burger or something. It'd be nice to be able to grab a spice shaker out of the cabinet, instead of having to break out the blender for a marinade every time. Just something quick.

There's a million recipes online. Let's hear yours. Thanks in advance

Ready? Begin.....

(Pro tip: there ain't no cayenne pepper in an authentic Jerk recipe, no matter what the Internet says ;) )

GO!

Authentic as far as I know is a wet marinade. Translating to a dry rub, you would just need to hit the high notes
Pimento/allspice, dried bonnet flake or powder, dried thyme, mix of onion powder and crushed dried chives would probably give the scallion touch. Salt. Vinegar powder if you have it or maybe real Lemon dried powder for the acid.

Optional
Garlic powder
worcestershire powder
Soy sauce powder
Few spritzes of rum over the rub spread out on a cookie sheet. Cover with cloth and leave out to dry.

Other option is full out wet marinade spread out on fruit leather insert of dehydrator. Once Dry blitz to rub consistency in blender.

I use this place for some ideas on spice blends.
https://www.spice-mixes.com/jerk-seasoning.html

Swap out the "chili powder" for some SB and Mushroom/Squash pepper powder. The CCN Jamaican Gold i grew this year have a fairly strong citrus thing going on with them. I dried a bunch just for Caribbean style rubs.

This one sounds good to me.
6 dried Scotch bonnet peppers (or 2 tbsp hot chili powder)
3 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp dried thyme

1 tbsp ginger powder
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp brown sugar

4 tsp allspice berries
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt (see note 2)
1 whole nutmeg
1 tsp whole cloves
3 inch piece cinnamon stick

tbsp = tablespoon
tsp = teaspoon
Directions:
  • Grate a teaspoons worth of nutmeg and set aside
  • Chop the Scotch bonnet peppers into smallish pieces and break up the cinnamon stick
  • Grind the cinnamon and pepper pieces with the salt, thyme, sugar, coriander seeds, allspice berries, peppercorns and cloves
  • Once ground add to a bowl 
Add the garlic and ginger powders along with the freshly grated nutmeg and combine thoroughly. (Also add the chili powder if you used that in place of the scotch bonnet peppers)

Back