January TD - Russian Imperial Stout

wheebz said:
looks baller

make sure to keep that ferm temp low, like 64-65 if possible, otherwise they get super hot

actually, the corner of my basement it is sitting in right now is currently at 60 and is throughout the day, dipping to around 58 at night

queequeg152 said:
u guys have water meters inside?

does the meter reader have to come inside too? or is it some wireless affair...

I am not exactly sure what you are asking here

Not sure what to do here.  This is the second time I have changed out my blow off container because it keeps filling up with blow off wort.  The first time, the 2L Erlenmeyer flask was up to the neck with blow off wort.  In this 2L flask, I put the smallest amount of star san that it took to keep the blow off tube submerged and it too is slowly filling up with blow off wort.  It was a 5.5 gallon batch and is in an 8 gallon bucket.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

grantmichaels said:
Drop of Fermcap-S in each, for starters ...

these will not affect the beer?  looks like I have to go to the brew store after work to get some tomorrow

Before I planned on going to bed, I checked on the beer and this was spewing out of the flask and I had to change it again.  At this rate, my 5.5 gallon batch will soon be down to 4 gallons

I fermented 4 gals of a 14.5% beer in a 5 gal corny with a few psi of overpressure and a single drop of fermcap-s ...

If you are concerned though, you'll still be 75% of the way there by using it only in the erlenmeyer ...

It'll stop the foaming, anyways - so the mess factor will go down a bunch ...

If you also use it on the wort/beer, it'll form less krausen and you'll get the other 25% - losing less beer ...

I'm pretty sure, anyways ...

I've sometimes used a drop in starters, too ...

queequeg152 said:
u guys have water meters inside?

does the meter reader have to come inside too? or is it some wireless affair...
If they are outside they would freeze so yes ours are inside. I can only speak for my house, but there is a wired port from the meter on the outside of my house, that is how they take their readings.

Ours are SmartMeter's or whatever ... they are shady AF ...

On their own wireless network, like Amazon's WhisperSync, and the one that my CPAP's on is a wireless non-WiFi network like that too ...

No reader ...

the cpap data is so they can see if you are almost dying as u sleep... im guessing its never used unless u have a crazy good doctor/health plan though.

there is supposedly some models that you can hack so that you yourself can also retrieve the data... idk how all that works though.

at one point i wanted to convert a cpap blower to a micro duct blaster... but its all so confusing.

the cpap machines have micro manometers that can detect when your throat closes and is no longer taking in that blown in volume.

the manometer also feeds into the control system so it can ramp down during exhalation etc.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Mine is inside but is high tech and allows them to ride by and measure without ever leaving their vehicle. 

here they walk around with one of those IBM "tough book" note pads. they still pull up the covers on the little ABS boxes though... maby they like to see all the frogs and spiders that live inside that thing.

Yes ...

It's pretty cool ...

It blows a very soft pressure, even when not being used, and then when you put it on, it detects the backpressure and turns itself on ...

Which, is VERY nice when you sleepwalk from the couch to bed ... and are trying to not-wake-up ...

my uncle gave me his old cpap machine to fuck with... pretty big blower, and astonishing quiet. 

if anyone knows how i can run this blower with my own manometer transducers such that i can force it to ramp up and down to maintain a specific static pressure... please share.

thing has like 5 fucking wires. i have 0 clue how this BLDC motor + encoder shit works.  

grantmichaels said:
Drop of Fermcap-S in each, for starters ...

Thanks a ton.  I have never heard of this product before and went and got some on my way home from work and looks like it is working.  This morning I woke up to a terrible mess that took a good hour just to get it acceptable to wait until I got home to finish the cleanup.  It was horrible.  I changed out the 2L flask with a 1 gallon jug.  When I got home, the gallon jug was a little over half full and I added the recommended number of drops per gallon and placed a piece of colored tape at the level of blowoff in the jug and hours later, it has not risen past the tape mark.  It is still going strong though.  All in all, I would say I lost a good gallon of wort over the past day.  Wish I would have known about that product earlier...

Back