January TD - Russian Imperial Stout

ZMvp3ax.jpg

Final Gravity at 28

AUWv79q.jpg

Racked on top of Organic unsweetened cacao nibs

Everyone talking about 10's like they're Tactical Penguin ...
Is there even a single yeast strain that quits at 10? ...

Even the temperamental saison strains will give you 10 if you keep the pressure down ...

Sigh... My fears have been realized.  Opened up a bottle yesterday after sitting in a warm room for 2 weeks and Flat.  Just the faintest hiss when popping off the bottle cap.  Reading beer forums on the internet tells me that it can take months to properly carb up a bottle conditioned big beer.  I fear that the gallon + wort that I lost due to blowoff I had in the beginning of fermentation took a large amount of yeast with it and my numbers were low to begin with.  Any thoughts on how to speed up the carb process other than time?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I haven't cracked a bottle of my RIS yet. I'll try one in the next few days to see if it has carbed up at all.

greenchile, has yours carbed up properly yet?

jbeer32 said:
Sigh... My fears have been realized.  Opened up a bottle yesterday after sitting in a warm room for 2 weeks and Flat.  Just the faintest hiss when popping off the bottle cap.  Reading beer forums on the internet tells me that it can take months to properly carb up a bottle conditioned big beer.  I fear that the gallon + wort that I lost due to blowoff I had in the beginning of fermentation took a large amount of yeast with it and my numbers were low to begin with.  Any thoughts on how to speed up the carb process other than time?

greenchile, has yours carbed up properly yet?
It's half carbed. That was a pretty hard pour too.

Back