food JayT's Throwdown Fail Piri Piri, Orange Harissa, and other stuff thread

So I had a whole spread planned for the throwdown, I was going to cook five different dishes including Piri Piri shrimp from Mozambique, orange Harissa chicken from Morocco, Kefta also from Moracco, Papas Canary Island-style, and a Zucchini with sour cream and dill from the Hungarian Plain. Well, life stepped in in the form of Heather's brother, sister-in-law, and three children coming for a visit. I could not feed them this menu, and if I could, it would not have been enough as I had this planned for two. So... since I had a gigantic fail on this one, I will make the menu over the week and post here, along with a couple other things like this MONSTER of a steak i made today to go with my Piri Piri shrimp.

100_0271-1.jpg

100_0272.jpg

100_0273-1.jpg

100_0274-2.jpg

100_0275-2.jpg

100_0277-1.jpg

100_0278-1.jpg

I loved your idea JT! I too, at one time, considered a "tour of Africa" menu!!!! It's going to be a blast watching your posts here! You're off to a magnificent start!!!!!!! Happy nibbling!!!!! :)

Man, I wish there was no FAIL on that TD throwdown.

JayT, that looks perfect.

I wanna know the spice rub on the steak.

Thanks everyone, the spice rub is McCormick's Cowboy rub which includes roasted chile powders, cracked black pepper, brown mustard, cloves, salt, garlic, coffee, onion powder, paprika, and tamarind. The steak is not African and was not going to be part of my entry.

This however was,

Orange Harissa Sauce:

Dried New Mexican chiles reconstituted
Orange Habaneros
Fresnos
Serranos
Orange Zest
Orange Juice
Garlic cloves
Cumin
Coriander
Cinnamon
Olive oil
Water in which the chiles steeped

This is not exactly authentic Harissa, as I added some peppers that they do not normally use, and it is a bit hotter than most Harissa I have had as well.

100_0285-1.jpg

100_0286-1.jpg

100_0290-1.jpg

100_0291-1.jpg

Chicken thighs marinating in the Harissa

100_0294-1.jpg

Lamb and Cayenne Kefta:

Ingredients:

Ground Lamb
Ground Cayenne
1/2 of a Red Onion finely diced
Chopped Mint
Ground Cloves
Ground Allspice
Ground Ginger
Ground Cardamon
Ground Nutmeg
Ground Cinnamon
Ground Cumin
Cracked Black Pepper

I mixed everything together and let it sit for about an hour before forming the meatballs which will be skewered and grilled.

100_0295-1.jpg

I'll post the rest of the dishes and finished pics as I make them this week.

Update: Today is the day for the Lamb Kefta and Orange Harissa chicken thighs.

I made the Lamb Kefta and let it sit for two days for the flavors to marry. Of course, this is longer than necessary, but I went out for prime rib yesterday. :lol: I served this on a grilled pita with lettuce, tomato and a Taziki sauce. I am not too sure about the sauce being authentic, but everything else about this reminded me of gyros so that's the way I went.

The official drink of Africa at Jay T's house MARGARITAS.

100_0300.jpg

100_0303-1.jpg

100_0304-2.jpg

100_0301.jpg

100_0307-1.jpg

100_0309-1.jpg

Then the Orange Harissa Chicken.

100_0297.jpg

100_0302-1.jpg

100_0321-1.jpg
100_0323-2.jpg

Mmmm Mmmm Harissa is Hot!!! And good. Still very sorry that I couldn't be a part of the throwdown. Good luck to both of the competitors still in the running.

Hmmm...... Is this thread kind of like "JayT had sex, but the orgasm didn't come until a few days later"?

(Sorry, bud, my sense of humor sometimes gets a little twisted........ :lol: )

Look. I just wanted to show that I had the throwdown spirit. I couldn't enter as unexpected circumstances prevented it, but I was here in spirit. I just wanted to show what I would have entered. I wasn't trying to upstage anything or anyone, but rather show my thoughts and food for the TD. I doubt I would have been in it in the end anyway, but whatever, so be it. I had fun with African food.

Oh, untie your thong - the food looks AWESOME, and I'm really glad you went ahead and gave the African a try!

SHE-BEAR HUGS!!!

I am not racist. Racist's single out a group. I hate all of you for not loving my Throwdown Fail thread. (I am trying my best to get Paulie's tiara next)

Back