• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Jeni's Queen City Cayenne Ice Cream

Hi everyone!

Jeni's, a local ice cream maker (who has gained a little national notoriety for their flavors) produces one flavor called Queen City Cayenne. I tried it today at the North Market, in Columbus, Ohio*.

I didn't snap a picture of the ice cream itself, as it looks like a regular dish of chocolate, but here's the sign on their cooler:

550161_3594488391212_1543507991_33199887_198821827_n.jpg

A single serving (2 scoops) is $4.50, a triple is $5.50, and a waffle cone will cost you $1.00 extra.

It is a chocolate based ice cream with a strong cinnamon flavor and a cayenne pepper kick. You don't actually taste the cayenne so much. Instead, the chocolate/cinnamon flavor is what you detect on your palate. Then when you swallow, you feel the cayenne in the back of your throat. Not an overwhelming burn at all. It is a nice contrast to the cold of the ice cream. While it isn't going to be my new favorite ice cream (can't defeat cookie dough), I do like it very much. It is certainly an intriguing flavor.

The texture and quality of the ice cream is what you expect from a small batch, local producer -- better than what you would find in the grocery store and well worth the boutique price.

There are a few Jeni's locations in Central Ohio, and they have a small retail presence as well. You can even order online, and it will be shipped with dry ice!

Here's the web site, if you're interested:
http://www.jenisicecreams.com/

Because Jeni's is convenient for me, I will be buying this ice cream again. Every place has cookie dough, but this is flavor is special enough that I will choose it every chance I get.

*Side note -- the North Market also houses a CaJohn's booth. I greatly enjoyed the samples there and purchased some of his TS BBQ sauce.

Back