• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

"Jerk Chicken".......on a cold and rainy day

IMG_6422.jpg

Ingredients: (Vegetable group left)...Fresno and Orange Habanero peppers, Thyme, Culantro, Yam, Zuchini, Yellow Squash, Carrot, Okra, Scallions, Red Onion, Chicken Leg/Thigh, Oregano, Jamaican allspice, Nutmeg, Coriander, Grains of Paradise, Cloves, Star Anise.
Lime, Meyer Lemon, Lemon, Unripe and Ripen Plantains, Soy Sauce, Rice Medley, Dark Brown Sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, Pigeon Peas, Myers Rum, Malt Vinegar, Sea Salt, Scotch Bonnet Powder, Pickled Scotch Bonnets, Tomato Paste, Black Strap Molasses, Coconut Milk.

IMG_6452.jpg

Toast Cinnamon Stick, Dryed Scotch Bonnets, Jamaican Allspice, Nutmeg, Star Anise, Coriander, Black Peppercorns, Grains of Paradise, Cloves, and Cumin Seed until fragrent............grind the spices in a spice grinder, set aside

IMG_6460.jpg

Add Onion, 4 cloves of Garlic, bunch of Scallions, 8 Pickled Scotch Bonnets, 1" piece of Ginger, Lemon, Lemon and Meyor Lemon cleaned and quartered, ground Spices, Culantro, 8 sprigs of Thyme, 1 cup of Brown Sugar, 1 cup of Rum, 1/2 cup of Canola Oil, 1/2 can of Tomato Paste, 4 tbl of Worcestershire and Soy Sauce... to a blender. Mix until pureed .(reserve 1 cup for bbq sauce)
IMG_6485.jpg

Pour "Jerk Marinade" over chicken and place in fridge at 6 hrs preferably overnight

IMG_6473.jpg

Prior to grilling chicken add 1 cup reserved marinade, 1 cup Brown Sugar, 1 cup Rum, 1 ripe Plantain, 1/2 can of Tomato Paste, 1/2 cup of Blackstrap Molasses, 1/2 cup of Malt Vinegar, and 2 cups of Water.....simmer for 2 hrs. ( I ran the sauce through a foodmill to remove the pulp) set aside until needed.

IMG_6519.jpg

Dust chicken with Bonnet Powder and grill skin side down for 10 minutes. Remove and cook indirectly with wood chips (Pimento Wood if you have it). Cook on low until done.........around 2 hrs.

IMG_6524.jpg

Meanwhile make vegetable "Rundown"...Saute Chopped Carrots, Yam, 8 cloves of Garlic, Onion, Red Bell Pepper until almost tender. Add Chopped Zuchini, Squash, Okra, and sliced Savoy Cabbage. Pour 1/2 can of Coconut Milk into pan, fold in and place pan uncovered in a 375 deg oven for 30 minutes....when done remove and cover until served.

IMG_6549.jpg

"Festive Rice".....Saute chopped Fresno and Orange Habanero with 1/2 white onion and 2 cloves of chopped Garlic in Canola oil. Add Pegeon Peas and 2 cups of rice with 3.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until done. Remove lid and add 1/2 cup of Coconut Milk. Cover and set aside.

IMG_6530.jpg

"Tostones"...Cut Green Plantain(s) into 1.5" slices and deep fry at 300 deg until golden. Remove to paper towel until cool.
Meanwhile make "Mojo" sauce.........Garlic press 8 cloves of Garlic, Add fresh squeezed 2/3 cup of Orange juice and 1/3 cup Lime juice, 1/4 cup of Olive Oil, pinch of Cumin, Oregano, Salt and Pepper.....set aside

IMG_6532.jpg

Flatten fryed plantains to 1/4" thick , refry at 375 deg until golden about 2 minutes...

bump .....for the plating....ha I'm hungry !

Lookin' good, Pic1.

I've got a different method for making tostones.

Heat up about a 1/4" of veg oil in a CI skillet. Peel and cut green plantains into 1" chunks. When oil is heated, fry both cut sides until slightly golden brown, then pull out and let cool/drain. Pull out a standard coffee mug. Smash those suckers with the mug. [You might need a knife to unstick.] Works perfect. Then throw them back in the hot oil and fry them till golden brown. Pull out, salt, let cool/drain. Dunk in a melted garlic butter sauce.

That method will save you on $$$ instead of deep frying. Trust. I'm a pro at these.

Greg if you entered every Td you would wins hands down everyttime. I wish you entered every TD. U are the farging machine.

My bucket list consists of visting the windy city and sitting down to a nice dinner with you sir :fireball:

Of course you have to prepare the meal :drooling:

Haha.............sure but you'll have to sit down to a Chicago style "Stuffed Pizza".............those can take 40 min to make...hmm, how many beers is dat...... :shh:

Very well done!
I hope you reserved a bit of the Meyers for a digestif.
That looks awesome!
The drinks were flowing, not Myer's though. I use Myer's for marinades, Banana's Foster and Pineapple upside-down cake. Not my taste for rum...and I do have rum.
A 23 yr old El Dorado would hit the spot, though.

Lookin' good, Pic1.

I've got a different method for making tostones.

Heat up about a 1/4" of veg oil in a CI skillet. Peel and cut green plantains into 1" chunks. When oil is heated, fry both cut sides until slightly golden brown, then pull out and let cool/drain. Pull out a standard coffee mug. Smash those suckers with the mug. [You might need a knife to unstick.] Works perfect. Then throw them back in the hot oil and fry them till golden brown. Pull out, salt, let cool/drain. Dunk in a melted garlic butter sauce.

That method will save you on $$$ instead of deep frying. Trust. I'm a pro at these.

You hit that one on the head. And I agree with you, being in Miami must be a staple on the plate.
I thought about the CI and almost did that but I picked up some Grouper and wanted to Rice flour some chunks for fish Tacos. I figured on flash deep frying the fish so the oil was ther for the Tostones, and the next day the Grouper.

Wow, fantastic Greg! I'm starvin now :dance:

I did eat more than the 2 pieces of chicken. I shredded the rest up for my wife and daughter and made me a sammie smothered in the bbq...........yum.

PIC1 in the house ... that's a beautiful meal ... was sold immediately at the colorful ingredients shot ...

Thanks Grant............"rain" or shine this was getting done this weekend...........I had the taste

Looks good, but too many sugars, that's why it burned. Brown sugar, rum, molasses... I don't think of jerk as a sweet sauce.

You hit that one on the head. And I agree with you, being in Miami must be a staple on the plate.
I thought about the CI and almost did that but I picked up some Grouper and wanted to Rice flour some chunks for fish Tacos. I figured on flash deep frying the fish so the oil was ther for the Tostones, and the next day the Grouper.

Ah, makes sense if you're using that much oil the next day or two for another application. Right on. And don't listen to El Jefe... I Use Rum, Molasses and brown sugar in some of my awesome jerk pastes. It's all in the application, timing and temperature.

Check out the TD from July 2009. TD's were in their infancy then. So were my food photography skills.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/11001-vote-jerk-throwdown-independence-weekend/page__st__20#entry213068

Killer dish, Greg! Love the look of those "Tostones", never heard of them before.

Looks good, but too many sugars, that's why it burned. Brown sugar, rum, molasses... I don't think of jerk as a sweet sauce.

Everyone has his own recipe on this, but I have to agree with the part that it has a lot of sugars. Still I doesn't have to get burned if you grill it indirect and then when almost done put it on direct fire for the crispy skin :) That's how I do it.

Ok, I see your point, Check the 1st photo of the chick on the grill They were moved to the indirect spot on the grill. No burn there. I actually wife the marinade off the chicken before the grill. No basting, The charred skin happened after 2 hrs on a low grill..........probably the wood chunks drying out, but the temp never rose above 225. The chicken was moist though, and the Bonnet powder gave it another heat level.............but I agree , if it were too sweet, then I ain't eating it...

Ah, makes sense if you're using that much oil the next day or two for another application. Right on. And don't listen to El Jefe... I Use Rum, Molasses and brown sugar in some of my awesome jerk pastes. It's all in the application, timing and temperature.

Check out the TD from July 2009. TD's were in their infancy then. So were my food photography skills.

http://thehotpepper...._20#entry213068

Any feedback appreciated......no feed included, with the meal.ha
I do both pastes and marinades....one of my favorites is putting 2 large chicken roasters on the roto.........and basting throughout, not on a rainy day like we had though.
When my gardens in full swing I'll add as many as 12 fresh Bonnets and adjust the other crap accordingly.
I'll check back that TD, now

Killer dish, Greg! Love the look of those "Tostones", never heard of them before.

Everyone has his own recipe on this, but I have to agree with the part that it has a lot of sugars. Still I doesn't have to get burned if you grill it indirect and then when almost done put it on direct fire for the crispy skin :) That's how I do it.

The main thing is that the chicken was moist, almost too moist. I check it throughout the grilling by pressing on it. I don't mind a crispy chicken skin no feathers though............pa-too-ee

http://thehotpepper...._20#entry213068

Interesting island vessel.........How did the chicken on the bottom cook through compared to the smoked amount on the top ?

Speechless here … even Jamaican’s would have a hard time beating your Jerk version. I didn’t find many folks doing Tostones there and so close to Cuba was strange to me. I did see it at home cooked meals other than ours but not as popular as in Cuba. We had such a high plantain yield this last harvest that we experimented with freezing a batch after the smashing step. Works out great and we haven’t noticed any taste difference, it certainly helped when you have too many more than you know what to do with and the ripening clock is ticking … Great job mon!

The main thing is that the chicken was moist, almost too moist. I check it throughout the grilling by pressing on it. I don't mind a crispy chicken skin no feathers though............pa-too-ee

Absolutely, Greg. That's the way it's done, but by looking at your food topics I don't think I need to give you any tips :lol: :whistle: Yeah, no feathers that's disgusting.

Speechless here … even Jamaican’s would have a hard time beating your Jerk version. I didn’t find many folks doing Tostones there and so close to Cuba was strange to me. I did see it at home cooked meals other than ours but not as popular as in Cuba. We had such a high plantain yield this last harvest that we experimented with freezing a batch after the smashing step. Works out great and we haven’t noticed any taste difference, it certainly helped when you have too many more than you know what to do with and the ripening clock is ticking … Great job mon!
Thanks,I've made the plantain barbeque sauce before..and you're right Tostones are not in the Jamaican cuisine, you would know that 1st hand. I'd like to find other uses for them cooked up. Any unique recipes ? I do like the idea of freezing them before the final fry.Thanks for the comments. ...I don't think the chicken could have turned out better even if I grilled it in a drum.......a steel drum, that is.

Back