• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pics Jerk hot sauce

This sauce was a fun one to make. Inspired by Jamaican food. I wanted to make a sauce that poured more like a hot sauce than a marinade. Most jerk "sauces" are more of a paste consistency. Not really what I wanted. So, I started a ferment. Yellow Scotch bonnet peppers, carrot and garlic. 4% brine method. And I let it ferment for two weeks. After ten days I racked out some of the brine and mixed my spices with this brine. The spices sat for a few days to develop flavors. I used this brine along with the fermented Scotch bonnet pepper mix, brown sugar, vinegar and xanthan gum to make a very complex jerk style hot sauce. Heat forward with a wave of spices that mellow as the heat dissipates.

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_213724_832~2.jpg
    IMG_20201018_213724_832~2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20201026_143218535.jpg
    IMG_20201026_143218535.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 128
Cool! So was the brine with the spices an infusion, or did you blend them all in? 

The Hot Pepper said:
Cool! So was the brine with the spices an infusion, or did you blend them all in? 
Technically both. I used all spice powder, whole clove and whole cinnamon stick after the infusion I removed the clove and the cinnamon stick leaving just the allspice. This allowed me to have more of the allspice flavor retaining the traditional jerk flavor that I was looking for.

Back