food Jerk on the Hoof

Somewhere deep in the hills of DeSoto Parish (Wouldn't you just love to know?) my co-worker snapped these tasty fellers chowing down on some corn. He says he can catch and butcher all these guys in one day...

hogs.jpg

So why ain't they in the freezer and the smoker?

Here in Texas they are worse than rats.

No closed season, no tags needed, and no limit.

Problem for me is I always see them in semi urban areas around north Texas and usually too close to homes, business's or no trespassing private property to shoot.

I usually have to wait until my sister shoots a bunch of them down on her property to get any meat.

Smokem' up!

We've got a bunch of em out on our land here in Lincoln Parish too. Hope they're enjoying themselves, because next month I have a truckload full of buddies from Arkansas coming down to eradicate those sum bitches.

Thanks TB! My co-workers will trap them later on. Last year he gave me a couple of the little ones, and I made jerk pork with my own Scotch Bonnets. It was really tasty--not gamey at all. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Jacob! As I remember, you had a garden in Arkansas and one in Louisiana?

Gary

@TB- get your bow hunting skills on, or your crossbow skills... if that suits your style better. No one looking in your general direction, no noise... nothing happened. It would take balls of titanium to pull it off, but for some reason I can see you doing it.

@TB- get your bow hunting skills on, or your crossbow skills... if that suits your style better. No one looking in your general direction, no noise... nothing happened. It would take balls of titanium to pull it off, but for some reason I can see you doing it.

I'm not a bow hunter and not sure but crossbow's might be illegal.

At least in Alaska they are.

And I'm too old to jump out of a tree and stab it in the heart 37 times like Rambo.

A Wile. E. Coyote Acme rocket or a 2,000 pound falling anvil is more my style.

Beep beep!

I am deadly with a crossbow. I would be happy to shoot one of them with a flatstick for you TB solongasu cook it up for me.

I am deadly with a crossbow. I would be happy to shoot one of them with a flatstick for you TB solongasu cook it up for me.

Only if I can use your rub.

I don't have near enough of the stuff for a whole hog.

I 'spose you'll be wantin' some queso with that pig too huh?

Just put that whole pig in a blanket with me and I'll eat my way out! Anytime you need more rub it is just a pm away.

Not until I reciprocate from the last stash of wampum I got from you.

Way to hot to send anything right now.

So hot here right now, if you sent a rub now it would arrive as ash.

Thanks TB! My co-workers will trap them later on. Last year he gave me a couple of the little ones, and I made jerk pork with my own Scotch Bonnets. It was really tasty--not gamey at all. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Jacob! As I remember, you had a garden in Arkansas and one in Louisiana?

Gary
yes. Well, HAD a garden up in Arkansas. My family still has it, but they stopped doing peppers for the most part except for bananas and bells. where I live now in Lincoln Parish I don't have the space or sun for an in ground garden, so I have about 70 plants in containers this year. These past few weeks have been brutal on them though. So damn hot.

I'm not a bow hunter and not sure but crossbow's might be illegal.

At least in Alaska they are.

And I'm too old to jump out of a tree and stab it in the heart 37 times like Rambo.

A Wile. E. Coyote Acme rocket or a 2,000 pound falling anvil is more my style.

Beep beep!

How bout a fly rod?? - cast using corn as bait...

70 plants is a big grow! Got any photos?
I don't have any at this time, at least not current ones. I've never done a grow log on here before, thinking I'll do that next year. But I'll get some pics up soon. Nothing producing anything noteworthy right now with all the heat, except my jalapenos and a few other annuums. But my superhot plants are getting BIG, just no pods for awhile until it cools down.

Back