• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

jerky season mix

this will be multi recipes for jerky seasoning.

Tangy Sweet jerky

- 3/8 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp. dried onion or 2 tbsp diced fresh onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs of sliced/cut up meat

marinate it, & cook. can add honey, corn syrup or molasses for sweeter flavor. also can add more pepper for spicier.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Teriyaki

- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp garlic pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs of cut/slice meat

marinate & cook

jerky mix #1

- 2 1/2 tsp morton tender quick curing salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes or cayenne powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- generous 1/4 tsp season all salt
- 1 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 lbs cut/sliced meat

marinate & cook

----------------------------------------------------------------

jerky #2

- 2 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp pepper (I'm assuming they meant black pepper ?)
- 1 tbsp + 3/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp sprinkle on meat tenderizer
- 2 lbs cut/sliced meat

this is like a dry rub, & cook

jerky #3

- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp A1 steak sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mesquite flavored seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp sprinkle on meat tenderizer
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp barbecue seasoning
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 lbs cut/sliced meat

marinate & cook

-----------------------------------------------------------------

no salt jerky

- 1 1/2 cups of apple cider
- 3/8 cup cider vinegar
- 3/8 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- hot sauce to your taste, example tabasco or ?
- 2 lbs cut/sliced meat

marinate & cook

jerky #4

- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 2 lbs cut/sliced meat

marinate & cook

traditional jerky

- 2 1/4 tsp tenderizing salt (EX mortons tenderquick)
- 2 1/4 tsp pickling salt
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper ( I'm assuming they meant black pepper)
- 1 1/2 lbs cut/sliced meat

this is like a dry rub & cook

this is something to work with for a starting point for homemade jerky seasoning mix, but you can also add other things to the recipe to suit your own taste buds or you also could add some more salt to it to make sure the meat gets cured properly, but dont over do with the salt because then it'll taste bad because of to much salt.
store the final product in the refrigerator to prevent spoil, plus forgot to say trim off all the fat or as much as you can before mixing the meat with the seasoning.

no I have not made any of these recipes, I listed these months ago when bent was asking for some recipes because he had no places to buy jerky premade spice/cure packets.

I use premade jerky packets & then add other ingredients to the mixture when I make jerky.

as for the no salt recipe, yea its not safe compared to the other recipes but if you use common sense & cook it throughly & keep it in the fridge & consume it in a timely manner, then I dont see a problem with it.
its no more dangerous than eating 3 day left over beef/turkey/ham that was sitting in the fridge.
its just another option for some people that want jerky but w/o salt or very low salt content.

Without salt or cure you'd have to cook it and not dehydrate/smoke or you'd risk getting botulism which can kill you.

it has vinegar in it which prevents that stuff just like in hot sauces w/o salt, so what about that ? & if you add some hot sauce to the recipe theres some salt in that.

the recipe was pulled out of well known cookbook so I wouldnt think they publish something that might hurt someone & then get sued, or I dont know use or dont use it its your judgement call for whoever wants to use that recipe.

making jerky you are cooking the meat but at lower temps (dehydrators do put out heat), the meat is not raw when done! & salt alone does not cook meat. pour all the salt you want on raw beef & eat it I think you'll still get sick.
just like cooking roast or smoking at very low temps for long periods of time. just use common sense when cooking/smoking/dehydrating meats.
I agree this recipe I'd cook/dehydrate in the oven to be on the safe side but I dont see any difference between this or cooking a piece of meat to complete dryness w/o using any cure, IMO store it in the fridge & eat it in a timely manner.

plus under the recipe it says "marinate & cook" so if someone cant understand the word "cook" meaning to make sure the meat is fully cooked/done then they are not using common sense when dealing with meat for jerky. if you use cure & still dont fully cook the meat/jerky I bet you'd still get sick!

I wouldn't eat it. I take botulism seriously and usually add nitrates as well as salt when smoking/cooking anything at low temps(40F-140F) like sausage or jerky.

so you're also saying you wouldnt eat steak or pork, since you dont add any curing agents to the meat before cooking them ?
what about eating half done steak where its bloody & I mean bloody! thousand of people eat this everyday & they're still alive, just cook & make sure the meat is done/store it in the fridge & eat it in a timely manner (I know sounds like a broken record but whatever)

also that recipe says nothing about temps to use, thats where common sense comes into play, if someone is dumb enough to eat raw meat well then I guess they deserve to get sick!

whats the deal anyways, do you want me to delete that recipe ?
I see it as any other recipe used for cooking/smoking/drying meats, if done right there shouldnt be a problem just like taking a raw steak & throw it on the grill at low temps until done to your liken w/o ever using any curing agents, & since you're making jerky style of meat with that recipe you'd be drying it far more than a cooked half bloody steak which would also mean the meat has been cooked throughly since its dried.

chilehunter said:
so you're also saying you wouldnt eat steak or pork, since you dont add any curing agents to the meat before cooking them ?

Not if I was cooked 40F-140F where botulism thrives.

what does that matter ? you could throw a raw steak in a oven at 400 degrees & brown the outside yet the inside never reached 140 degrees, hence why its still bloody & uncooked raw meat in the center. & thousands of people eat steaks like this everyday where you cut it open & blood runs out (had this at my uncles wedding bloody fillet migon & everyone was served this & was damn good!!) & restaurants serve bloody meat offen - such a big liabitiy claim there if there was one by your standards but it still goes on.

all I'm saying is be smart when cooking/making jerky/meats dont matter how much cure you use if its completely raw I dont think the cure is gonna save you.

Its the cooking temp (40F-140F)I'm talking where botulism thrives, not the internal temp of the meat.

Theres lots of dry cured sausages that aren't cooked but air dried.

potawie, ya know you sure are confusing me with what you say. (not really just seems like you're jumping all over the subject)
1st you say you wouldnt eat some jerky/cooked meat w/o salt used & made in a dehydrator.

then you say you wouldnt eat meat if its been cook in temps of 40f-140f
& then you mention the thought of just air dried sausages, you didnt say you'd eat them but just the plain fact of mentioning it kinda seems like it might be ok to you as long as salt was used BUT they were never cooked or even brought above 140f.
but if pork was used in those sausages I'd have to say you're crazy to eat air dried pork, between pork & beef, pork is a meat that NEEDS to be cooked throughly because of other parasites in the meat.

back to the temp thing & dehydrator, well mine reaches 155f so I guees then you'd have no problem eating a no salt jerky made in that dehydrator ? & like I said before dehydrators do cook meat while drying the meat.

I don't see whats so confusing.

1st. No I wouldn't eat jerky/cooked meat w/o salt (and/or cure) used & made in a dehydrator
2nd. I will eat meat if its been cook in temps of 40f-140f if its been cured properly
3rd. Air dry sausage and other cured meats are very common and although I've never made any yet, I am planning on doing it very soon.
4th. Pork is nearly always used but must be frozen properly previous to making to avoid certain parasites.
5th. Most dehydrators do reach above 140F but I prefer to smoke mine old school and even if I didn't I'd use salt or nitrate cure

I really like the Hi Mountain Jerky spice packs. All I need to do is add my own powders to make it as spicy as I want. Since it comes with its own cure and directions, all of the guess work is taken care of. I am still in the process of zeroing in on the pepper powder for the "perfect amount of heat and flavor. I'm almost there....

potawie - to me it still sounds like you're jumping all over the subject.

I ask if you'd eat a bloody steak (no salt/cure)
you then say not if its been cooked at a temp of 40f-140f because thats where botulism thrives.

but you then bring up you would have no problem eating pork/beef that never even reached past 140f but has salt/cure used.

but a dehydrator gets past 140f, & in your words botulism would no longer exsist even w/o salt/cure. so seems like its nothing more than a slow cooked piece of steak. & even a cooked steak w/o salt/cure can even get you sick if left unfrozen or out of the fridge for to many days.

if I have this remembered right & correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought vinegar & citric acid (& salt) helps prevent botulism. & with that recipe there is vinegar as for how much citric acid is in the apple cider I dont know but I'd think theres at least some ? then add the fact that a dehydrator is heating the meat at 155f.
I dont know what else to think other than using your words that botulism doesnt live past 140f & with vinegar & cider & small ammounts of salt in the hot sauce used it should be safe. again going by your words.

again if I remember right botulism can even happen in hot sauce, yes or no ? so if it can explain about those hot sauces that dont use salt & only vinegar or citric acid from fruits.

Chilehunter, to me it sounds like you're the one jumping all over the subject.
Please don't misinterpret me, I said botulism thrives at 40F- 140F, I never said it doesn't live past 140F. Acidity (vinegar or citic acid)can help to prevent botulism (so can sugar)but salt or cure is really the only safe way to go IMO unless you want to pickle your meat.

"& even a cooked steak w/o salt/cure can even get you sick if left unfrozen or out of the fridge for to many days"
-Yes but that would likely not be botulism since botulism thrives at 40F- 140F and prefers a low oxygen environment.

With hot sauce you are bringing the acidity down below 4 which again would pickle your meat and possibly would be safe but not my kind of jerky

Back