• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Jim Duffy 7 Pot Lava Red cross.

On Facebook today.

Jim Duffy  ‎Chileheads

7 Pot Lava Red cross. I will explain. I have obtained Lava seeds from various trusted sources. So I am growing out in many separate areas. The Lava is unstable as it is so I dont expect to get a real true consistency from them. Anyways if I get close to the real thing I will sell seeds as 7 Pot Lava. If not I will assume that what I have is an unstable Lava cross and will sell as that. Because these pods you see here are looking damn good. Even if they dont have that Lava look. What do you guys think?

I think they are Judy's strain and he shouldn't try making money off a strain Judy made and haven't released yet, Also who ever he got seeds from should be known!!  I will never buy anything from Jim Duffy again. 

Every day I see a new name. People already have new Jay's out there and no idea how that is even possible since Red and Peach were the only 2 strains local and I am not even certain they are 8 generations. I am going to even further to basic next year. Nothing to add to you OP other than the pictures below look truer. 

JayT said:
Jim Duffy will do anything for a buck. Another snake oil salesman.
You sure you're not confusing him with pepperjoe or Baker's Peppers? So far all but one thing I got from duffy has grown true, and while he does sell unstable peppers he also labels them as such in his store.

I know he does, therefore I will not put him in the same category as those other two trolls, but he is all about the $$.

I also have not had an issue with Jim Duffy.

I bought some seeds that did not geminate, he sent me starter plugs as a replacement at no charge, which were worth more than the cost of the seeds.

All about the $$? Hmm... most businessmen are in business to make money, so I suppose you could say that about everyone who runs a business. It is, however, how you run your business that matters.

I have read, on this very forum, of more than one vendor who is far more interested in pure profit than Jim Duffy.

As cruzzfish said, at least he is upfront about it.

No problem's with Jim here. I like the guy and his seeds have always been good for me.

I am however sick and tired of people selling F1's and F2's....or F'whatevers.

In my experience Jim is a great guy. Never had a single issue with him or his seeds. People can hate all they want, from what I have seen and experienced, he's a great guy trying to make an honest living. Haters will hate

JayT said:
Judy refused to sell the Lava seeds for a reason. The reason is that they are unstable. Someone, whoever it is is pirating her stuff and its bullshit. Oh, and Jim Duffy will do anything for a buck. Another snake oil salesman.
Even Judy has been forced to sell unstable stuff now. If you want to eat,it is something you have to do. That isn't a knock on her,her hand has been forced.

A few years ago, 7 Pod Evergreen was a variety she was trying to get stable before releasing. 7 Pod Evergreen? Huh?What? There have been 1000 others that are more appealing,or asinine if you will.

I am growing a Chocolate Borg 9 this season,really nice pods. I could post a photo here and call it Brainstrain,moruga Scorpion,Lava,or any other name I chose and nobody would know the difference. The only thing that is certain is that it is going to taste like earthy tobacco,and it is going to hurt

Buyers drive the market and people seems willing to spend money for any superhot novelty.
Unstable Hybrids, random color mutations, multiple names for the same "strain" are the norm.
I sincerely don't care too much and prefer to grow my own seeds or trade with trusted folks when needed.
It's a business and good business man simply follows the trend...

Cya

Datil

I have a beef with Mr Duffy. Read about problems with his bonnets growing into orange habs. Someone called him out somewhere online and he responded. Claimed he bought the seeds and was never using that guy again, blah blah blah. Supposably sent dude some new seeds. So I'm thinking this is cleared up and bought some of his bonnets the following year, a year I went bonnet crazy trying to get a true bonnet. Every source, op traded and what not grew true, except Duffy's which became orange habs. This was a full season later and he was still selling the whack ass seeds.
Mind you, everything else grew true that I have gotten from him before. But to be called out, then really not fix the problem and keep selling seeds you know are bad is a no no in my book. It is hard to believe that the next seeds I buy from him are going to grow true, knowing his practices.

I don't know the guy, but if I meet him I will definitely call him out about those bonnets.
Dude could be cool as shit, but I can't let that go.

Plus the wishy washy story with the pods he submitted to the chili institute. I am still not sure that they didn't test a brain strain, enstead of a moruga, that day, since he claim they were the same plant. Called the douglah a chocolate 7, knowing it was a douglah. Very unprofessional at the least.

And doesn't Judy have the Lava named Trademarked?
Dont get me wrong.
I understand dude has to make a buck. We all do.

Back