• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

JungleRain's 'White Lightning'

Preamble/Rant
Having tested JR's line last year, I was pretty happy to see them up for sale so I could grab some full sized bottles.
I chose the following two sauces (of nine), as I found I used these two (and also Scorched Earth) the most frequently.
I particularly missed having a bottle of White Lightning around. My ham on toast breakfast just wasn't the same without it. :P
Anyway, enough of that... :)

White Lightning
IMG_1589-1.jpg

Ingredients
50% Pear
31% Kiwifruit
Onion
Garlic
6% 7 Pot/Pod White
Vinegar
Lime
Sugar
Salt
Spices

Appearance
As you can see, it's a pretty damned attractive sauce.
Need I say any more?

Aroma
This sauce doesn't smell as sweet as you might initially expect. It definitely has a fruity aroma,
but it's somewhat savoury as well with the onion probably being the most singular ingredient.
Neither the pear or kiwi stand out on their own. It's fairly well-rounded.

Consistency
Smooth - Not too runny, yet not so thick you smash the bottle trying to get it out.

IMG_1593-1.jpg

Taste & Texture
The initial thing that sprung to mind when I tried this last year was no different from today... "Tangy, Spicy Apple Sauce"... As in, the stuff you put on your pork roast. It has a quite similar base although much tangier/fruitier and not so sweet. The texture also lends itself a little to the aforementioned in that it's slightly fibrous (or something) although not as thick of course.

Heat
The heat is not huge, but it's a nice warm heat that I think suits it well.
I'm sure there are a few of you out there who wouldn't mind it a little hotter however.

Application
As previously hinted at.... This stuff is made for swine.
I'd also tried it on roast chicken and with a pear & parmesan salad... Both being great, particularly the salad.
I suspect it wouldn't fair too badly on a meatier fish like John Dory either.

Conclusion!
White Lightning probably ain't an everyday sauce (unless you have ham for breakfast like me!) but I think it has a broad enough range of use and a unique flavour to anything I've tasted thus far. I'll be ordering more of this schtuff in future I suspect. It's very reasonably priced to boot.

Price - $7.95 aud (approx. $8.45 usd)

www.junglerain.com.au

Inquisition Review Laters ->
IMG_1591.jpg

Nice Review bro. Yeah JR's sauce's are unique beasts but they are great tasting. Inquisition for me is the shiznet among the 9 flavours ... along with his bloody Murder and Dragon Berry (strangely both of them go best in my opinion with chocolate cake and ice-cream!!)

My advice to everyone ..... buy some !!!!

Thanks for the Review Rael :oops: , very unexpected but much appreciated
It's taken awhile developing the sauces, 9 in total and 1 hot chilli wasabi mustard
but I think its all been worthwhile

Dragon Berry my fav- like a fruity Worcester
I'm happy you liked them also Bootsieb

Nice Review bro. Yeah JR's sauce's are unique beasts but they are great tasting. Inquisition for me is the shiznet among the 9 flavours ... along with his bloody Murder and Dragon Berry (strangely both of them go best in my opinion with chocolate cake and ice-cream!!)

My advice to everyone ..... buy some !!!!

Cheers Trippa,
I really enjoyed those two as well, though not being a big sweets type of person myself :snooty: , I didn't use them as much!

Thanks for the Review Rael :oops: , very unexpected but much appreciated
It's taken awhile developing the sauces, 9 in total and 1 hot chilli wasabi mustard
but I think its all been worthwhile

You're most welcome Grant
T'is Good stuff!
I forgot to mention also, the glossy labels look great on the 150ml'rs
:cheers:

Oooops Trippa, didn't see you there, thanks to you too mate.. :drunk:

Glad you like em Rael, I'm working on making another hot one which should be 3 x hotter than the Inquisition

Hi Rael, what did you think of the Inquisition?
was it hot enough? I'm working on another more hotter sauce with cherries and cranberries!

I just used nearly a quarter of a bottle of Serpents Bite on my lunch, damn you JR you have created several monsters! :hell:

Great review Too RaRA, clean and to the point.

I just used nearly a quarter of a bottle of Serpents Bite on my lunch, damn you JR you have created several monsters! :hell:

Great review Too RaRA, clean and to the point.

Cheers!
Yes, they aren't lasting me long either Scott!

PS - Grant, will you be at the Fiery Foods fest?!?

Hi JR, will you be at Jindivick this year? I'd like to try some of these sauces.

Just realised that's where FFF is! Ok... so who's going to be designated driver? :lol:

The Inquisition sauce is absolutely amazing stuff! I was trying to make the bottle last more than a week, but failed!!!

Back